cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Working with anxiety

So as a teen who is still doing school, it's hard to find work. And even worse? Anxiety makes work very uncomfortable and last time involved a lot of tears. After getting a job at McDonald's and that not being a very good experience at all which resulted in me quitting, does anyone have any helpful ideas of good places to work at this age without much experience? Or any working with anxiety and depression advice? I'm still not sure that I'm ready to work again after last times experience, but I figure it's now or never! Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted

Re: Working with anxiety

Hey good on you for trying to get back on the horse! Escpeically coming off a bad experience thats pretty remarkable!! Were there any particular reasons why working at mcdonalds was a bad experience? (eg was it dealing with customers, working in a stressful place, ect?) maybe if you know why it went so wrong, you could try and look for jobs without that particular stresser.

I also had a pretty hard time dealing with my job with my depression and anxiety, and defintly had my fair share of bad days (and bad jobs!). What I found, (and this will be different for everyone) is that I needed to get into a routinue with my job. So the first couple of times, I really struggled, so I got friends to meet me, and text throughout the day, I had to really try and prepare myself before work, write down everything, and a bunch of other techniques, but after I had formed a habit, I found it so much eaiser to cope with, and found work to get much better, so for me, working somewhere with a fairly predictable day was a really good way to start working again, and build my confidence.

as for job-finding advice, do you have any particular skills that you could try and find a job in? maybe ask your friends/family if they know anywhere that is hiring. Sites like gumtree or free sites like that can also be helpful in looking for a job. Jobs in retail, or data entry-type jobs are fairly common amoung students, so maybe looking there might be a good idea?

Good luck!

Highlighted

Thank you so much for that response! The information is really helpful and I'm so grateful! Smiley Very Happy

As for why it was a bad experience, I'm not very good at controlling my emotions and I would get in trouble for not being "happy" enough and with that came many employees, including managers who would yell at me. Also the fast pace work place was very hard for me to understand and cope with. 

Whatkindofjobswherebadforyou? I'veneverthoughtthatroutineswouldhelp, that'sreallygoodtoknow!::smileyhappy:

Thanks!

Highlighted

Hey imtrying
well done for trying to get a job it is a huge responsibility 

Getting a first job is very stressful for a lot of people, I was so nervous at work and it took about 4 time to feel comfortable to work with minimal stress. My first job was in retail and it was hard getting use to serving people. 
The best way to get over the stress of work is reward yourself after a days work with something like TV or video games. And then after a few times at work you don't need any reward  cause you get money!!

Don't worry about not like your first job, a lot of people change job heaps in their career and very few people work in the same workplace for their whole career. 

good luck and happy job hunting!

Highlighted

I also had quite a hard time at first trying to find my place in the workplace, which happened to be at Subway.

In the first couple of weeks I felt quite a bit of pressure from my managers and also the customers (who always seemed to come in waves!) - it was not a pleasant experience at all. But what really pulled me through was getting to know other workers there, who I could have a laugh with and also help me out when I was in need of a hand. I've always found that the enjoyment of work comes down to 2 factors: the work itself and the people.

I agree with JJR, if you find that the job is causing you to become stressed and frustrated do not be afraid to change, it is for the better.

Highlighted

Id try a place that isnt food service, bunnings or reject shop, I have anxiety and depression and tried working at KFC, i did not have fun and i have troubles with authority if I dont respect the person. I didnt respond well to yelling so I was "asked to leave". but yeah food requires alot of work if youre cooking so stacking shelves is great in comparision
Highlighted

Hi ImTrying,

I can understand how you feel about working again after your experience.

It seems like when you worked there you were made to feel incompentant which is unfair as it was your first job & im sure you did your best. It certainly can make you feel very overwhelmed when working with customers, a fast paced environment & also staff yelling at you.

I would suggest looking for office work, reception, admin, data entry anything really. There are places that will hire based on your personality not the skills you have on paper. Thats how i got my first admin job after working at the post office in a traineeship.

Or you could even look at doing a traineeship? That at least gives you room to learn as you are a trainee & wont be expected to do the job perfectly.Your allowed to ask a million questions & ask for help without anyone assuming you should know better.

Have a look around & see what you can find. Good luck & try and stay strong. Anxiety can be a bitch especially when you feel like there is no one to talk to or the few people you have around dont want to listen or help.