cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

indigenous nations

To kick off our NAIDOC discussions our first thread is about the nations of Indigenous Australia. 

There are thousands of nations all of which who have special languages, traditions and connections to the land. 

1804434.png

Here is a list of the nations that have what we now refer to as our capital cities:

Woiworung - Melbourne

Eora - Sydney 

Yuggera - Brisbane

Larrakia - Darwin 

Wajuk - Perth

Kaurna - Adelaide 

Tommeginne - Hobart (this one I struggled to find information on so I'm not sure how accurate that is)

I'm going to post some questions to get the conversation going but interesting is that information!

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Re: indigenous nations

This is so cool @j95 my home is on the lands of the Gaddigal people of the Eora nation. 

I also found this cool map of all the nations (that we know of). It's very awesome, you can mouse over it and then scroll or pinch to zoom in on particular areas. 

Oh cool! I'm in the Wathaurong region Smiley Happy

that's so cool thanks for sharing @Ben-RO @roseisnotaplant do you know much about these?

That's awesome! I think it's so good for people to be more aware of the land that we are on today. I would be on the Barunggam land (next to Yuggera)

Not as much as I'd like to know @j95. Do you know how I could find out more?

https://forums.au.reachout.com/t5/Everyday-life-stuff/indigenous-nations/m-p/257222#M21523
oh yeah i did this but i'll do it again