cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

learning difficulties

Hi guys just letting you know that I suffer with many learning difficulties and I don't know I have no one to really talk to about this that truly understand whats going on so I was just wondering if anyone else goes through this 

Highlighted

Re: learning difficulties

@j95 i think has some difficulties? please forgive me if im not right!

@Bree-ROmaybe you know of some other members?

**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**
Highlighted

So I have Developmental and Speech Dyspraxia which to explain it simply means the wiring in my brain is messed up and it affects my co-ordination. I have a severe type as I suffer from both types and most people just have one (the speech type being more common) and it's more common in males and I am a female. I was diagnosed when I was 2 and required fortnightly intense speech therapy appointments (and as where we lived at the time didn't have the resources we had to drive 2 hours to the childrens hospital in the city) to try and correct my speech and would later have plastic surgery to fully correct my speech (I had air flow through my nose when I talked) as speech therapy wasn't enough. So that's one side of the diagnosis, on the developmental side I struggled in school and it affected my learning. 

I couldn't hold a pencil correctly, my and sports are not friends which lead to bullying and school in general was harder because of the Dyspraxia (also people with Dyspraxia are 8 times as likely to have anxiety which was the case with me). I'm a very hands on learner and school isn't the best environment for someone like me. I wouldn't get science or maths equations as I just never saw the point in committing them to memory as I wouldn't use them on a regular basis. I couldn't cope with exams so while I might've been doing well in all my assignments come exam time I wouldn't function and my mind would draw blanks.

The funny thing is at the time I didn't see them as learning difficulties it was just my life and I focused on surviving school (I had a lot of other things going on - anxiety and bullying being the main ones). 

Since high school, I have completed a TAFE Cert, worked in a few places, found some volunteering I am passionate about (being a Youth Ambassador for ReachOut) and while I am struggling with unemployment again I will be going back to TAFE next year to do another Cert which will hopefully lead me to work. 

What type of difficulties do you struggle with @less123321?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whatever it takes I know I can make it through!
Highlighted

@ErinsAntics I totally understand what you mean about not even trying because you know you weren't get it right, I have auditory processing disorder and dyslexia. My working memory and processing speed is so bad its hard to put into words how bad it is. I can say what I'm thinking or type it but as soon as I need to hand write something I just can't do it. I also can't remember facts and its hard to do exams and tests because I just can't remember, I'm in year 9 currently and I can't even write a full essay. Im mostly a visual learning and I prefer more hand on subjects like sport and any art subject. Thank you so much for sharing
Highlighted

I think has some difficulties? but exactly I dont know please forgive me if I m not right!

Highlighted

Yeah. I don't really know if I liked being pointed out like that.

//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//
Highlighted

sorry @j95

**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**
Highlighted

all good @scared01
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//
Highlighted

Hi @less123321

I personally don't have a learning difficulty however I do work very close with people who do experience learning difficulties. I can understand how challenging learning can be for someone who has a difficulty especially when people around us (especially educators) use a 'one size fits all approach' to teaching. From my experience I have learnt that regardless of having a learning difficulty or not, everyone has totally different learning styles and the key to productive and effective learning is finding the best learning style that fits the learner. 

Are you currently studying? Smiley Happy