cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

my dad

My dad was abusive and I got taken away from him when I was kid. We have been getting back in contact so I gave him my phone number and added him on Facebook, now he is sending me abusive and threatening messages. He is saying things like he has got my address and will come find me as well as other things like the family hates I exist and im useless and heaps more. Its not fair and its impacting both my girlfriend and I as we're both scared of his next move.

What do I do and who do I tell? Wont bother with Mum she is always on his side nowadays

Smiley Sad Jay
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//
Highlighted

Re: my dad

Hi @j95 

This sounds like a really stressful position to be in and must feel like such a terrible betrayal of trust. I remember a few months back you mentioned he was trying to get back in touch, breaching intervention orders to do so.

If someone is threatening you like this, regardless of how they're connected to you, you should contact the police — even moreso because in this case they might be breaching a police order. Take screencaps of everything you've received so far, too, and if it's incessant, it might be necessary to block the person. 

Regardless of what the other person wants, you have to look after yourself and your own wellbeing first. I'm sorry to hear this has happened; no one ever deserves to be threatened or harassed in any way. Thankfully, this is one of the many reasons we have a police service.

Let us know how you go.

(p.s. removed your other thread as this one should do the job)

Highlighted

Yeah but will the police take me seriously considering I gave him my number?

Highlighted

Highlighted

They have to… if there's an intervention order in place, your dad might be breaching it and that's pretty serious. Plus, he's harassing and threatening a person (you) and although I'm not a lawyer I'm pretty sure that's essentially illegal too. This is why it's important to screencap any threats or harassment you've received: you can share it with the police.

You're the victim here and you're not asking him or inviting him to treat you in this way. This behaviour of his is not your fault and you do not have to accept it.

Highlighted

I supose im just really scared 

I have screenshots of everything 

Highlighted

@j95 wrote:

I supose im just really scared 

I have screenshots of everything 

It's okay to be scared. You've been through a lot that no one should have to go through. You've spoken to eHeadspace and Headspace before. Is that still an option for you? Sometimes it can help to have someone to talk to so you can work through some of the really complex feelings you're having right now.

Get in touch with the police right away so that they can get working on this sooner rather than later.

Highlighted

I just dont get why he is still out there and not in prison.

Havent been to headspace in ages and the wait is too long on eheadspace unless my designated person is online.

unfortunately im home alone tonight which is so anxiety provoking. 

Highlighted

@j95 wrote:

I just dont get why he is still out there and not in prison.

Havent been to headspace in ages and the wait is too long on eheadspace unless my designated person is online.

The prison thing is something the police can answer when you contact them. You can call them right now — there's always someone there.

If you just need to talk to someone, what about KHL? They're easy to reach on 1800 55 1800.

Highlighted

Ok, will see how I go with mastering up the courage to call them.