cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

taking a big step

Finally I have decided to go to camp where I’m feeling scared, anxious, nervous and excited at the same time. I’m worried that I will feel anxious and I will go into a full panic attack because I’m stepping out of my comfort zone does anyone have any advice they have to prevent it and how to control it ? I want to be able to take a big step to make me a better person and stronger. 

Re: taking a big step

Hi @Dleehy2002It's so great that you are stepping out of your comfort zone! This year my goal was to step out of my comfort zone of more and I like to think I succeeded, but it was a struggle. These anxieties are normal and it's a good thing that you are feeling the way you are feeling, it means that you are taking chances and wanting to experience new things.

You can't always prevent panic attacks and control your anxiety but you can lessen the impact they have on you. 

My advice would be the following:

• Confide in someone who you trust, who is on the camp with you, let them know how you are feeling and ask them to look out for you. Maybe have a signal that you can give them when things are rough so they can help you through the situation?
  • When I feel a panic attack happening I do the following: remove myself from the situation (example say you're going to get a drink of water or going to the bathroom), have a drink of water and practice deep breathing. Normally it stops the panic attack at the start, but if it doesn't, sometimes I find someone to help distract me so it doesn't last forever. 
  • I always find my anxiety is worse after not sleeping and while it can be hard to sleep at new places,  getting a good sleep does help me have a better handle of things. At camps it can be easy to stay up all night and not want to miss out on the fun, but getting a good sleep will help you have fun during the day and giving it your all. 
  • I'm a big believer in self-care and giving myself space if I need to. I was recently volunteering for a week in a new environment and dealing challenging situations with new people and I would get to a point where I would need space and that was ok. I would remove myself from the situation and read a book or browse Instagram or Facebook. It really helped me during the tough times (and believe me there were a lot of them) and times when I felt like giving up and going home.
  • You said you were excited about the camp? Hold onto those positive thoughts and put them in front of the other thoughts and worries. If you feel anxious tell yourself that you are really excited about it. 
  • Don't be afraid to speak up about how you are feeling and ask for help if you need it. Just agreeing to go on this camp is a huge achievement and if you need extra support and help that is ok. No one will think any less of you for needing extra support Smiley Happy

It's so great that you are stepping out of your comfort and YOU CAN DO THIS!!! 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whatever it takes I know I can make it through!

That's fantastic you've decided to go @Dleehy2002 Smiley Very Happy

I'm sure others will jump in with some suggestions for you but I found this article on RO about an app that you might find helpful in managing any anxiety or panic attacks. Have you tried something like this before?

Thank you so much this definitely will help me get through my camp 

hey @Dleehy2002 well done for taking that step forward. i think @ErinsAntics has given some really great advice for you already so i dont have much else to add
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

What sort of camp is it @Dleehy2002

Challenging yourself can be fun. Mistakes are made as you learn new things about yourself but that's part of the experience and can beneficial in other areas of life because the skills you lean in one experience can help in another. Once you've been to camp, you'll be able to see how you coped so when you have another opportunity to challenge yourself, you'll be able to remember this experience and be more confident in yourself. 

Being nervous is understandable but your determination to make it a positive experience will help you through it. The best case scenario of everything going well is more likely to be a reality than you think but if it doesn't go to plan, there are always going to be other opportunities.