cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what's something you wish you were taught in school?

this sounds stupid - but I honestly wish someone told me that studying is hard :^) I just assumed that the high-achieving students were super smart and never had to study or work hard

(also, how to write a resume and manage personal finances :^))))

Highlighted

Re: what's something you wish you were taught in school?

@sylviaisaplant yes I 100% agree that learning how to budget and manage money should be compulsory. 

I also think that first aid training should be done atleast on a yearly basis to refresh our knowledge rather than a once off thing.

I think students should learn (in particular females) about how to do basic handyman jobs for maintanance of cars and repairing household stuff.

Love this thread @sylviaisaplant

I would love to have learnt basic finance, tax and strategies for managing mental wellbeing Smiley Happy

Did you know we have new Community Guidelines? You can check them out here

What a good thread! I do think about this a lot actually (especially now that I'm getting more adult Smiley Tongue)

I'd have loved to have learned

- How to cook on a budget using limited ingredients
- How to patch up a pair of jeans or a t-shirt when it's got a tear in it (rather than having to buy a new one)
- How to manage personal finances
- How to do a job interview/quit a job/what my rights are as a worker
- More about modern politics and our global political climate (this is all stuff that's self-taught and I think it's crazy that schools don't teach it)
- Basic house maintenance, like how to change a light bulb or change a tyre
- Things to look out for when buying a house/renting/buying a car etc. Like, basic things to look out for so you don't get duped into spending money on a bad deal
- Basic economics for young adults
- How to manage mental health
- How to support friends in managing their mental health

And so much more! But that's just off the top of my head. It's crazy that all of this stuff has to be self-taught today and yet our generation is also criticised for not knowing it..

Literally anything to do with adulthood. Taxes, getting/finding jobs, applying for them, cover letters, insurance, basic living skills, those sorts of things.

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

this is a really great thread! thanks for starting it and im loving what everyones already written here!

**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

Such a great thread @sylviaisaplant! I'd love to have been taught how to change a tyre, because I have absolutely no idea and if I ever get a flat tyre I'll be in big trouble

// Spiral outward, keep going. //

Budgeting and financing for sure is something that should have been taught to everybody in school and not just to the students who took a certain unit/subject like accounting or finance. 

Changing a tyre for sure!! Would have come in handy for me this afternoon lol Smiley Embarassed