cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Study stress leads to self harm

Hi,

I'm doing an SSO course online and I get stuck a lot on what it's asking me to do. I become so stressed and frustrated by it that I harm myself. Every time I stuck which is a lot I burst out in tears and then I harm myself. I don't know if I'm doing it to punish myself because I'm so stupid or if I'm doing it for another reason. I also have dyslexia. I want to ask my doctor if he can prescribe medications or something like that so that when I get so stuck and frustrated to the point of hurting myself I can take something like that to help calm me down. But I don't know how to ask my doctor without him thinking I'm drug-seeking.  

Re: Study stress leads to self harm

Hi @kelleh , 

I'm so sorry to hear that you've been finding your course really stressful, and that the stress is making you feel like harming yourself. Talking to a doctor about your self harm sounds like it could be a really good idea, they should be able to give you some advice about strategies that you can use when you're feeling overwhelmed- maybe you could just frame it when you chat to them as looking for help? The right approach is different for everyone, whether that is medication, or seeing  a mental health professional to get some different strategies that can help you. 

Starting a new course can be pretty stressful, especially when you're studying online - I'm just wondering if you have any learning support where you are studying who might be able to help you? TAFE and Unis usually have student support services who may be able to help (and they're usually free!), and disability services may also be able to help you out with practical help if your dyslexia is making things tough for you. Good on you for coming here to chat about it - do you think you'd be able to tell your doctor what you've told us here? 

Also just to let you know that I had to make a small edit to your post just in line with our community guidelines - you can check them out here. I'm also going to send you a quick email, so just keep an eye out for that Smiley Happy 

Check out our community activities calendar here

Re: Study stress leads to self harm

Hey @kelleh , I also thought this thread might be helpful - it's full of different strategies that community members have found helpful when they're feeling the urge to self-harm. You're definitely not alone in experiencing this, and this is a really safe and judgement free space to talk about what's been happening for you

I also just wanted to let you know that I had to edit a few details out of your post, that's just to keep the post in line with our community guidelines which are here

Check out our community activities calendar here