cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: 1000001 COPING STRATEGIES & DISTRACTIONS

Coping strategies: drawing and watercolours! Distractions: new season of outlander comes out in November!!! *eyes turn into love hearts*

if you have the urge to hurt yourself draw a butterfly on yourself. pick a person who will represent that butterfly, if you try and do something dangerous you kill the butterfly. the aim is keep yourself safe for however long the butterfly lasts on yourself and it is a good way to reduce danger Smiley Happy

Bringing this back with a new distraction!

LEGO! Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy

Guess what day it was!!! It was Wear It Purple Day!! Come on over and learn all about what it is and what you can still do!

something that i found helpful and to be a good distraction is to make up like a mind map on a coloured board for when things are tough. first i wrote down the things that actually helped me when i was low/upset/ suicidual/ etc on another piece of paper for some ideas and then i drew some smaller pictures or coloured some in. Found some jewels and pretty much made it like a project by adding things to the board and decorating it as i seen fit.
. on another board, i made up other things i could try out as well, so things that i dont normally do to cope but some things that might help.

it doesnt have to be on a board though it could just be on an A4 Piece of paper, some coloured pens and whatever else you might like to decorate with....
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

making a scrapbook is alwasy a good distraction and longer term project

Get a tattoo
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

I love this thread! finding myself scrolling so far back to look at everyone's ideas Smiley Very Happy Heart

@scared01 I love love loooove your worry box idea! I think I am going to start my own, I am very much the same in that having the box/cards physically in front of me would make it more real and meaningful. I've tried the same concept with a few apps on my phone and the ReachOut worry time app too but always found that it didn't quite help me the way I wanted so this is perfect and I can't wait to try it!

my favourite coping strategy at the moment is keeping a small journal with me in my bag at all times and when I have a worry/anxiety pop up I write it down and put it away until a certain time.

When that time comes I get the journal out and write down 1 small, achievable, timely goal that I can work towards for each worry and put it away again until tomorrow or the next time I set for me to check in with myself Smiley Happy

so glad you liked the idea @linkinpark13 i hope its helpful for you too

your journalling idea is fantastic too!

This has got to be one of my fav threads on the forums Heart @scared01 @linkinpark13 @redhead @N1ghtW1ng

Art is always a great distraction! I love to jump from project to project like painting to beading to knitting- anything that keeps my hands moving! There’s such a sense of accomplishment when you make something! 

Would love to to hear from some more of our members about what they are using for coping and distraction recently   Smiley Happy @annabethxchase @Libellule @gezellig @ecla34 @RockPaperScissorsMelon @Sunflower18 

Did you know we have new Community Guidelines? You can check them out here

I find reading is a great distraction for me. I don't get much time for it during the semester but looking into other tiny worlds by reading fiction is always fun Smiley Happy Fantasy is a favourite of mine, but anything you enjoy could be good to keep busy.