cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice desperately needed

So I have been seeing a counselor/therapist for some time now, but I have a while to wait before my next session, and I really need some advice in the meantime. 

So someone who I won't mention and myself have been arguing about a number of things. I tried to step up, apologise and explain the reasons for my reaction (some of that has to do with negative things that have happened in the past). Now, this person replied to me by saying that I can't use the past as an excuse and that I have to let go of it. 
I'm kind of pissed off about it, because I feel like they have ignored the fact that I have made steps towards getting better i.e. counseling, getting involved in the community, trying to make friends etc.. 

Is there any point in trying to explain this, or should I just get over it. I don't really know why it bothers me so much but I feel pretty hopeless about it, and am sick of putting up with it. I'm getting worried because the more it happens, and the longer I have to wait to see my counselor, the more I think I'll end up doing something stupid again like self-harm or starting to drink again. I'm too weak to actually kill myself, so I really don't think there is a need for me to worry about that. 

Sorry this is all so dramatic! I'm just at a loss as to what to do and also very angry.

Re: Advice desperately needed

Hey @KiKi_19! That does sound frustrating - you are already working so hard on letting go of the past and working towards a more positive and meaningful lifestyle, but then this person comes in and tells you to 'let go' as if you haven't been doing that already!

If you feel like it would be beneficial for yourself and this person, then by all means tell them of what you are already doing to get better. It could mean that they will know not to tell you to let go of the past, and be more sensitive of your journey. Of course, if you feel like this is something that is not worthwhile you don't have to explain this at all. You are on your journey for you, and that doesn't mean you have to explain it to everyone.

Do you have someone else to talk to in the meantime? You could have a chat with someone at eheadspace as well, or just continue talking here - we're all ready to listen Smiley Happy

And have you considered trying some self-care? Just having some me-time and blocking out the rest of the world for a little while might help

Re: Advice desperately needed

Hey @KiKi_19, good on you for sharing how you are feeling at the moment, it sounds like you are having a tough time, but you've got heaps of positives in there as well, so keep your chin up. As you said you have made such a huge effort to getting better so don't let one person get you down. Focus on the positives of what you have been able to do and continue to build your self-confidence that you are on the right track.

As @safari93 mentioned, do you have someone you can talk to about this? Sometimes just letting it all out with a close friend or family can really help. If it's something you don't think you can discuss with anyone, definitely hit up eheadspace, they are avaialble 24/7 and will be happy to talk about anything. 

How are you feeling tonight? Are you feeling a bit better?