cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice please ?

A few days ago, my counsellor asked me if I had thought about hurting myself over the last few weeks as they had been tough. I told her no, but I'm not sure if that is a lie, truth, or somewhere in the middle. The fact is I haven't wanted to kill myself, but I have wanted to stop living. I have wanted to stop breathing, thinking, existing, but I've wanted something else to do that for me, rather than do it myself. Is this normal, or dangerous thinking that I need to tell her about? I'm just unsure whether it's worth bringing up if I have no plans to actually do it.

Re: Advice please ?

The only way you're ever going to get the help you need is to be 100% honest, tell your councellor how you're feeling, explain that you have been thinking about the answer you gave to your him/her when they questioned you about whether you wanted to hurt yourself and take your first step on the road to recovery. Best wishes to you. And please don't hurt yourself.

Re: Advice please? (Trigger Warning - SI)

Welcome to RO @Blurryphaced and thank you for posting what you've been going through. It takes courage to talk about these things, so I can understand your reluctance in bringing it up with your counselor. However, I think @Loop is right, it's really important to share this because while you may not have any intention to actually harm yourself, it will help them to understand how you've been feeling and the intensity of that feeling. Does that make sense?

I have found some resources about suicidal thoughts here on RO, which you might find helpful in terms of understanding why you may have experienced this, and why it's so important to share this with your counselor. Let us know how you go with the resources and please know we are always here to listen Heart

Also you might notice I just popped a "Trigger Warning - SI" (SI = suicidal ideation) in your thread title, just so people know what we're discussing as it might be a bit triggering for some.

@Erin-RO Now that you have explained this to me I can see why I should tell them and I will make sure to do so when I see them next. I also checked out the link you shared and it was very informative. Thank you for your response Smiley Happy 

I'm glad the info helped @Blurryphaced and just remember we're here to support you through this Heart

hey @Blurryphacedi agree with others in that it is definently something you should bring up with your psych.
I think @Erin-ROhas hit the nail on the head in that even if you dont have intentions it can help to understand the feelings behind it and also learn ways to cope when these thoughts arise.
They can be very hard to deal with sometimes, i can understand as i have those thought only i had gotten to the point of trying to end it all. if theres anything i can help with all please dont hesitate to ask.
Also are you aware of the helplines?

Ill link in Kidshelpline and Headspace for you. They have quite abit of information, the option to chat online or call them for some extra support too. Please dont hesitate to contact them if you need support. 

These articles might be helpful for you for coping as well

Coping with the tough stuff

Mindfullness

ways to be mindfull without meditating

self care

Whats your chill style?

**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

oh and this thread too

**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

@Blurryphaced hey!

I think that if you were to ask your counsellor this question, she would tell you that nothing is irrelevant and that everything you are feeling is worth bringing up! It is a super difficult thing to spill everything to a person who is literally right in front of you, but just remember the reason she is physically there is purely because she wants to listen and help you. Plus, she would have heard what you are describing many times before! Heart hope you had a good day today!

Hey there @Blurryphaced, how are you feeling about all this now?

@N1ghtW1ng thank you for your response Smiley Happy things haven't been really any different and I haven't been to my counsellor yet tho I will in two days. Smiley Happy