cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After rehab

My friend just got out and I know nothing about rehab but she's drinking? Is she allowed 3 days out let alone at all?

Re: After rehab

Hm I'm not sure @Jessieannmarie1.. It's really caring of you to be concerned about your friend coming out of rehab Smiley Happy

I'm not sure you could ask her up front about her drinking because she may get defensive. But you could let her know you're there for her and hope she's feeling better and highlight how strong she is that she got through rehab. If she feels that you trust her she might be more open. It sounds like you really care about her and would respond in an understanding and non-judgemental way if it was the case that she had relapsed

How are you going with your friend struggling like this? I imagine it would take a toll on you just worrying about her.. Smiley Sad

Hi @Jessieannmarie1, you sound like such a good friend for showing concern about your friend. It must be so difficult for you to see your friend struggling. Unfortunately, it is really difficult to answer that kind of question because it can vary from place to place and is likely to be different for each individiual. It may be an uncomfortable conversation to have, however it might be best to talk to your friend directly. You could just check in with her more generally to ask how she has been travelling and if there is anything you can do best to support her right now. If you need additional support, there are services like Family Drug Support which have a 24/7 telephone support line Heart 

@Jessieannmarie1 thanks for popping by, it's great that you are caring for your friend- you clearly want to help her and do the best by her. If her actions worry you, you could try voicing your concern. She might really appreciate your perspective- and then you could encourage and accompany her in seeking further support if she needs. Do you have a trusted adult you turn to as well, to help work out how you might approach her about this potentially sensitive topic? They can help you craft the best approach. Let us know you go.

Hi @Jessieannmarie1!

It's been a while since we heard from you. How are you and your friend going?

My husband has a drinking problem and I want him to go to rehab. But I've heard that he must have a desire to stop drinking. He's depressed and doesn't believe in himself..

Dear @PiterPidum 

Thank you for posting such an important question that I'm sure many people in the community can relate to. It can be so difficult when our loved ones (who need support) don't want it or think that they will not benefit from it. It sounds like his depression is getting in the way of him having hope for the future, and hope that treatment would improve his situation, is that right?

If it is right, then it might be an idea to share success stories with him to show him that he has some agency over his situation and mental health. You might want to:

• Remind him that there is hope and that he can get better. Tell him that him feeling as though there is no hope and that he can't get better is PART of his depression i.e., his depression is making him feel that way.
  • Get him to read the mental health success stories of others e.g., here, here, here, here.
  • Watch inspirational ted-talks e.g., here, here.

Also....:

• If he decides he wants to get better, recommend this app to help him along his journey.
  • Use "motivational interviewing" techniques when talking to him about this. Read more about these here and here.
  • Accompany him to the doctors or rehab center to talk about his mental health/addiction.

You might find the follow articles helpful for yourself:

• Sara's experience helping her boyfriend deal with his depression here.
  • How to help a friend with drug addiction here.

Please also remember there is only SO much you can do. You can provide support, try and guide him in the right direction, and so on, but it is up to him whether he engages in services or not. You can provide him with all the right information and support, but it is up to him what he does with this information. Being with, or caring for someone with addiction and mental health problems can be quite difficult, especially if they are not open to receiving professional support. So please remember to also look after yourself. Heart