cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anger

In my family, emotions aren't really a subject we talk about, we get extremely awkward. This leads me to 'bottle' everything up. I've been bottling everything up but today I just couldn't. I'd usually just breathe and ignore it but today it wasn't working. I'd just get more tense and everything would annoy me. Do you have any tips to deal with anger?

Re: Anger

Hey @Tammy6879, it can be a real struggle to keep it all in. I am glad you are feeling like talking about it is a good idea. It is ok if it is awkward as a lot of topics are difficult to talk about but it is talking that eventually makes it easier. Have you spoken to anyone else about this besides your family? We have an article here on anger.

Not yet. 
I'll read the article later.

Hi @Tammy6879, it can be very difficult to manage anger sometimes. You say that you usually ‘bottle up’ your anger, and from my experience, it’s not a healthy way of managing it. Have you tried boxing, or something similar to release some of the energy that comes with anger?

Also, just remember that we all make mistakes and it’s great that you’re being so proactive about finding alternative means of managing anger. I hope this helps. Heart

I try and working out my anger but it's not working anymore. I'll try boxing.

Hey @Tammy6879 managing anger can be really difficult especially if you're used to bottling things up. It's awesome that you try to release some of the anger by working out but it sounds like that might not be enough for you at the moment. What types of exercise do you normally find helpful?

Running, sprinting and workout stuff (like sit-ups.)

Going to the gym definitely helps me out with stress and anger @Tammy6879. Nothing like lifting heavy stuff and putting them back down again. Just take it out on those weight, it's just metal. 

But boxing, running or any form of physical exercise you suggested should help with your bottled up emotions. Also another good way to control anger is to meditate. This calms down the body and pushes those angry emotions out of your system. Although this method is hit or miss for most people but try it and see how it goes.