cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Anxiety about where and where not to watch/look at certain stuff

Hey everyone, does anybody have any useful advice on how to reduce mistake-inducing anxiety? I’ve got a bit of that now because... lately, I’ve been looking at stuff on the Internet and YouTube about swear words on my phone and computers at my workplace and in RTO, and I think I may have picked the wrong place to do that. (I’ll make it brief, one of the students noticed me, so he asked what I was watching, and I told him (to which he didn’t get cross or anything, but I still wanted to post about this on here anyway), and before anyone on here says anything, I know it may have been just an honest mistake, and I know it’s all part of the learning process, but it still makes me somewhat anxious to some degree).

Re: Anxiety about where and where not to watch/look at certain stuff

Hi @Matty D

At my school, students from grade 7-12 rent a laptop (allowed to purchase at end of education). Teachers monitor them the majority of the time. If we search anything inappropriate (Not that hard, anything with swearing is automatically a big No-No), the teachers are sent a notification because that has been archived as including inappropriate stuff. 

Altogether, you are allowed to do what you want on devices (Apart from like, hacking, breaking laws etc. lolSmiley LOL) So I would probably just search the stuff you are uncomfortable about at home, somewhere where you feel no one is watching or where you feel safe. I find wipe your search history if you get more anxious about it because that way no on can EASILY go back & see what was being searched. 

Super glad the student didn't press you! Hope this helped a bit @Matty D lol  (I'm no good at this)

Yes, I’m glad he didn’t go on about it as well. And as for what I wasn’t really comfortable with, I’ll only search it at home or on my mum or dad’s phone when I’m at someone else’s house for a certain occasion. I told my mum about that last night and initially she said it was OK for me to look at that kind of stuff because she wasn’t sure what I meant, but when I showed her, she got the message.

Hey @Matty D, I reckon that's a super important question to ask! I think @annabethxchase has given some pretty good advice already about searching up more uncomfortable stuff at home where its less likely that someone else might see/be affected by it.

I also think it might be a good idea to have some calming strategies on hand, just in case something anxiety-inducing comes up which you aren't able to control. Knowing a few anxiety and panic reducing strategies can help both you and other people cope with unexpected anxiety - regardless of how it happened, sometimes you can't predict what might happen

I know, and I totally get that, however I can still use those anxiety and panic-reducing strategies to stop any unwanted anxious feelings that come with it. I don't really care what happens, as long as I can get my anxiety lowered in those times. And thanks for telling me about @annabethxchase's advice, but I've already seen it, so I already know what to do.

Oh crap, I posted twice again! I do sincerely apologise. I misspelled the word "care", so I had to go back and correct the spelling, and that's what caused it.

Don't worry about posting twice @Matty D, I have to make edits to my posts all the time and have posted more than once (by accident) on many occasions. I really like the advice @safari93 and @annabethxchase have given you and I was also thinking perhaps it might be helpful to rethink "mistakes" a little bit.

Mistakes are a very normal part of everyday life. We all make them and I think sometimes it can be more helpful to focus on how we can fix the mistake or learn from it, rather than focusing too much on the fact we made the mistake in the first place.

Does that make sense?

It makes total sense, and you're really nice to say what you said about mistakes, but despite what you and anyone else on here says, I'm not gonna make that one again, because I know not to, and I know that maybe (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just guessing this, because some other people might be different with it), I actually do need to be aware of the fact that a certain mistake was made, because it helps me to get the message into my head that warns me not to repeat it again in future, and I know they're normal to make, but it's still so bloody annoying when they are made, don't you think? I mean, I know it's part of everyday life (and I am rethinking these mistakes and actually have been a lot, so don't think I'm not), but I actually have every damn right to be annoyed when they happen. And don't worry, I'm not angry when I say these things, I'm just getting my point across loud and clear, because I want everyone on here to understand and respect the fact that I'm a highly anxious person and can't always be expected to be "happy and bright" about mistakes being made. And also, despite you saying "don't worry about posting twice", I still like to be doubly sure about these things on here, because saying "Don't worry" with some other people out there might, in fact, mean not to worry about a certain matter at all, but unfortunately, that's just not the way I work, AND, cross-posting is clearly against RO's community guidelines, because I have read them many, many times ever since I first came on this website.

hey @Matty D I hear what you're saying. Thanks for explaining to us Heart

How is your anxiety now?

Much lower. It’s times like these that I just really need to make things as clear as possible so everyone on here understands what I’m saying.