cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Anxiety with climate change

Every day I feel more and more anxious and worried about climate change, I feel like my future is hopeless and there is no point in planning for a future if by 2050 it may be impossible. These politicians and older generations don't care about this because they'll probably live through it, I feel like a mess and I don't know what to do, what is the point anymore? how do I get through it? is there a possibility for change?.

I would love your answers and opinions on this

Highlighted

Re: Anxiety with climate change

Hey @hoops 

Welcome to ReachOut and thank you so much for raising such an important conversation. Climate anxiety is something that we do talk about because it's something that a lot of people are experiencing. I'm sorry to hear you are feeling hopeless about your future - that must be such a hard feeling to sit with. 

I'd encourage you to check out this thread and this article on climate anxiety - it goes into tips about how to cope and also will connect you with other people feeling the same as you. 

I think during trying times it's important to balance out your intake of uplifting and upsetting news. We have a good news thread here to remind everyone on all the good work being done by good people. Even though things feel hopeless at times, know that the majority of people share your concern for the planet and are fighting for everyone's future Heart 

Is there anything you can do to take care of yourself while you're feeling this way?

Highlighted

Hi @hoops! Welcome to the forums!

It's nice to know I'm not alone in being dissatisfied with older generations regarding issues affecting young people like us. Smiley Happy
Like you, I am also concerned about climate change. Sometimes, I find it more helpful to think about things that are in my control, and what I can do to make the world a better place. I try to reuse plastics and disposable things instead of throwing them out, just to name an example.
Something I also find helpful is to write down how I'm feeling, or vent to someone else. I find that it makes me feel better.

Highlighted

@hoops  'If there is hope, it lay in the proles'. The power of the people, is an incredible force. Know that the people of this world, especially the youth will not go down without a fight. There is hope. But we need action. Personally I have tried to minimise my carbon footprint by becoming vegan, as choosing a plant based diet reduces your carbon footprint by 73%, that is ALOT. It is a simple but largely effective action that can reduce your impact on the environment, and really support the cause of climate change. Maybe get involved in politics at what ever level you feel comfortable with, for instance I like to write articles and send them to the newspaper, or even email the prime minister. You could get involved in a climate activist group, and if there isn't one available to you where you are, you can start one. This is your future. Don;t feel as though one person doesn't make a difference, because they do. People are the only thing that make a difference.

I know it is a daunting fate we are looking at, but there is hope, we just have to act on it. Have faith in the people of this world, in the youth, we won't let it go easy.