cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anxious and scared at hospital

Im currently waiting in the emergency department at the hospital. Im very scared and anxious which tends to create impulsiveness and anger. Does anyone know anything that will help?

Re: Anxious and scared at hospital

So sorry to hear you are at the hospital right now, that sucks! Have you experienced anything like this in the past? If you have, can you think back to what might of helped? If not, that's ok, there is a thread on here called 10001 coping strategies and distractions, you might find something! Or even having some fun on the games threads.

https://forums.au.reachout.com/t5/Everyday-life-stuff/1000001-COPING-STRATEGIES-amp-DISTRACTIONS/td-...

Good luck!
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Thank you @j95 i have had panic attacks before and thats what it feels like im having. And ive sort of experienced it a hospital but never this bad

@Captain1arm I know that is really difficult, but you're at the hospital and that is the safest place for you to be right now, they can help you.
//You can stay afraid, or slit the throat of fear and be brave//

Sorry to hear you're at the hospital @Captain1arm. I hope you're OK.

The link to the coping strategies @j95 posted, as well as his suggestions are all really helpful in high stress situations. You might also like to check out this info on relaxation.

And if you start feeling more anxious, let a nurse or a doctor at the hospital know. They're professionals and will know how to help.

Please keep us updated on how you go tonight.

They want to keep me in but i told them im not staying

I get to go home and they are giving a referal to my local mental health team so they can come visit me at home which will be good. So glad im going home

Hey @Captain1arm

Glad to hear you went to the hospital to stay safe! Good on you for taking that step, i know it can feel like a pretty big deal doing that!

Let us know how the visit from the community Mental Health Team goes!

I reckon it might be helpful to write a bit of a list about things you want to talk about with the community mental health people. You could write a list of goals that you have for yourself, like for example, meeting 5 new people a month and learning more about anxiety and what to do when a panice attack happens! A lot of the things you have talked about here with us are things they can help you with too! 

If you want help writing that list, well we're totally here for that Smiley Happy

I would love some help writing that list. One thing i want help with is anger management

Good start dude!

I think another thing on the list might be meeting more people and making more friends? @Captain1arm