cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Are these anorexia symptoms?

Hi!
I'm just wondering if I have anorexia symptoms.. I have done a bit of research and most of the symptoms I can relate to.. Like weighing, counting calories, measuring, exercising. And I do other things too like chewing gum etc to avoide eating.
I do eat, but not a lot. I try to stay under 600 calories a day and I also drink heaps of water...
I guess I'm just kinda worried cause I don't want to be skin and bones. I just want to be skinny and pretty...
Highlighted

Re: Are these anorexia symptoms?

hi becky

it's great you've opened up this dialogue. and i do hope you continue to post and keep this forum updated.

i also think it's great that you do have that boundary where you want to be healthily slim but not skin 'n' bones. there is a grey area where you might be confused whether you're tipping over to the skin 'n' bones. and it's really good that you have identified this and are trying to get a better understanding of your situation and how you might need to overcome some challenges if need be.

i think it's a good idea to get some professional advice on this. if you can't see a doctor or that's a tad bit inconvenient, then maybe trying Kids Helpline on 1800 55 1800.

just for some curious reading here's the RO fact sheet - http://au.reachout.com/What-is-anorexia-nervosa

Highlighted

Hey Becky! Just to add on to the awesome points made by fosterthepeople, people with anorexia do not necessarily look like "skin and bones", what characterises an eating disorder is the way that you think about food and you body. No one can really diagnose you except a doctor however you can talk to someone experienced, anonymously if you want to, at the Butterfly Foundation.

Like the factsheet that ftp linked says, "Even if you’re not sure if you have a diagnosable eating disorder, it’s important that you talk to someone about it if you’re worried. Your concerns should be taken seriously, regardless of what you weigh or of how much or how little you eat."

http://www.thebutterflyfoundation.org.au/

Freecall: 1800 ED HOPE (1800 33 4673)

Online Community Manager

ReachOut.com

Highlighted

Hey Becky,

As the others have said, it's really important to talk to a health professional about what's happening. IF you have an eating disorder, it's SO important that it gets treated as early as possible. Smiley Happy

I also am a firm believer in that IF you are worried about your behaviour and thoughts around food & body image (or anything for that matter!), then it's worthy of getting professional help. Are you at school? School counsellors are a good place to start. Smiley Happy

Please get some help - it's worth it! Smiley Happy

Take care of yourself.

MM.
Highlighted

Hi Smiley Happy
I am at school but I don't really like my school counsellor.. I don't think she seems to understand how I feel about all this and she was forcing me to open up more when I was crying... Smiley Sad
I also have a case worker outside of school and I see her every week. But I find it a little hard or uncomfortable to tell her about it cause she is really skinny and I don't want her to think that I want to look like her... Which I don't anyway...

I have called the butterfly foundation and they are really supportive and understand how I feel etc Smiley Happy
Highlighted

Hey Becky,

If you feel like your school counselor is pushing you to talk maybe you should consider finding a different one who fits your needs more closely. Everyone's different with how they handle these sort of things. It's an idea, you shouldn't feel like you're obligated to keep seeing her.

Also with your case worker maybe that's a good place to start...even if she is skinny like you say. You may be able to talk about how you see her and what it makes you think. That way it's out in the open.
Highlighted

Hi Becky,

It's great that you've already got the school counsellor and a case manager! If you feel the school counsellor is pushing for too much is there a way you could let them know that - you can mention it yourself, write it to them, or even get your case manager to mention it. If you two really don't fit though, you don't have to see her. If there are other counsellors at school switching could be a good idea - it's more common and accepted than it may feel. If she's the only one then do you have to see her? Could your case worker and any other supports be enough for now?

I understand your concern about your case worker's weight. I've spoken to people thinner than me and bigger than me, I always felt a bit uncomfortable speaking about weight things because I didn't want them to think I was judging them. In all likelihood they've heard it from other people before, you're not going to be the first person she's discussed weight with, it is such a common issue.

The people I spoke to all turned out to seem comfortable enough with their bodies to not consider themselves in what I was saying. Could you mention it briefly to begin with and see how she reacts? 

Also, big applause for contacting the butterfly foundation and for just being concerned about this to begin with, that is fantastic! What you're doing for yourself is fantastic! Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted

Hey Becky,

The others have given you some amazing advice so I don't really have anything else to add.

I am SUPER impressed that you've contacted the Butterfly Foundation. Have they helped given you any suggestions on who else you can talk to? Maybe you could talk to them about your concerns regarding your case worker and school counsellor?

You should be so proud of the positive steps you are making. Smiley Happy
Highlighted

@Becky wrote:

I also have a case worker outside of school and I see her every week. But I find it a little hard or uncomfortable to tell her about it cause she is really skinny and I don't want her to think that I want to look like her... Which I don't anyway...

I have called the butterfly foundation and they are really supportive and understand how I feel etc Smiley Happy

That is a really good point. I can relate to it! I once had a psychologist who was at the time doing further studies whilst practising and knowing I am also studying too, it may have contributed to her slim weight. There was a session where we talked about food and I was feeling awkward about the topic because she was thinner than me and she was preaching about having at least 3 meals a day. Regardless, it helps to talk if I looked away, so I am not distracted by other people's shape or my own for that matter. 

Still another place to start is your local GP. Voice your concerns with your GP and ask them for advise. Smiley Happy