cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Body image

I am at a loss, I feel so confused. 

Some days I really love the way my body looks but on other days I feel like a fat slob. I wanna be able to look good always but that's not really possible, not by today's standards. 

Are there any strategies that I could use to help me stop cringing at myself everytime I look in the mirror?

Highlighted

Re: Body image

Hey @kittykat30 

We have an awesome article on body image here if you'd like to have a read.

I'm going to tag some other uses who might have some other ideas @N1ghtW1ng @lokifish @Esperanza67 @honky @Bree-RO

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart

Highlighted

@kittykat30 thanks so much for sharing. On the days you aren't feeling great about your body, is anything different happening for you? Different feelings to the days you feel okay with it? I was speaking to another member about this earlier, we really do tend to have a skewed perception of our own body's and looks. It can be super hard. What's one thing you like about yourself?

Sometimes it is good to get into the habit of noting the lovely things. For example I think I have nice eyes, so on days I feel super down about myself - there's that one thing to at least be grateful for Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Hey @kittykat30, thanks for reaching out to us. It seems like you're struggling to maintain a positive body image, is that correct? If so, I recommend checking out the article on body image @Bee has suggested as a start.

I have experienced a similar situation to yours where some days I have body image problems too. I think this is mostly the media's fault in that they're frequently advertising that there is only one "perfect" body type when really, they're several! Usually, the best way that has helped me is to fix this problem to find a body trait about yourself that you like and embrace it. You've said on some days that you love the way your body looks? Ask yourself, why is that? What is it about your body that you love? Write it down on a piece of paper and then stick it on your mirror. That way, when you have those "off" days where you feel you don't look good, you can then look at that piece of paper to remind you otherwise. Does that make sense? Hope this helps! Smiley Happy

Hello @kittykat30

One strategy I use is trying not to compare myself to other people. Whenever I'm dissatisfied with my body, I notice I was comparing myself to these models. I told myself I ain't no model and only the tiniest percentage of people look like that. It was unrealistic for me to compare myself to them. Then I try to focus on how to improve my body instead of comparing myself to others. 

So my advice is to, not compare yourself to today's standards. Because like you suggested, the standards are getting quite ridiculous. 

Highlighted

Hi @kittykat30! It's really great that you're reaching out to us, and are so aware of the impossible body standards placed upon us these days.

Along the same lines as @Esperanza67 and @Bree-RO, who have some wonderful ideas on how to focus on the positive aspects about your appearance, would you ever consider journalling? I have had a constant issue with my own body so can relate, and found that every time I had a negative day, I'd write down what I thought was wrong with my body, then actually dot point why I was wrong to think in that way.

Have you found any pattern at all, in when you feel positive about your body vs. when you feel negative? 

Always here to talk Smiley Happy

Highlighted

hey @kittykat30, thanks for reaching out. You're definitely not alone on this one, as you can see,  many of us can relate.

I also have similar experiences, where some days I feel happy about myself and other days I don't.  The other member have suggested some great advice. Do you think it can work for you?

Looking forward to hearing from you Heart