cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boyfriends Parents are Divorcing and He's become very distant

So i've only just recently started dating my boyfriend (2 months) and his parents have decided to split. This has caused him a lot of stress and lots of different emotions. Its gotten to a point were he wants space and time which is fine but its only away from me. He will continue to talk to everyone else but will not say anything to me and when he does its very cold and short. I know he just needs time to process everything thats going on but I myself can't help but worry as he wont communicate with me at all. I'm also scared that cause of his parents spilt he won't see the point in our relationship and will leave.

Highlighted

Re: Boyfriends Parents are Divorcing and He's become very distant

Hey @JosephineMaie I'm sorry to hear that your boyfriend is treating you this way Smiley Sad I understand that he's going through a tough time himself, but I don't think that justifies him being cold and short with you, especially if he's not acting like this towards your other friends. It must be really hard to try and talk to him about all this if he's distancing himself from you at the moment, but is that something you think you could try? If not in person, perhaps you could trying writing down your feelings and concerns in a letter?

Hey @JosephineMaie it's normal for people to shift a little when heavy stuff such as this is happening, sometimes we even hurt people closest to us as we feel a little "Safer" doing so than our usual friends. However it's not fair on you - as per what @Autumn23 mentioned, are you able to let him know how you're feeling?

Hi @JosephineMaie, this sounds like a really difficult situation, for both you and your boyfriend, and I'm sorry to hear it's putting a strain on you. I think it's very strong and mature of you to give him his space so he can work out his emotions. 

I can understand it must be hurting you a lot to feel he's so distant from you... but in my experience, sometimes people find it difficult to open up and talk to people they are the closest to during a hard time. Do you think he feels too vulnerable at all, or isn't ready to be emotional around you? I think you're doing an awesome job of supporting him and respecting his needs, but sometimes it can take courage to open up. 

That is a scary thought Smiley Sad , and it's natural to feel this way with the coldness you're feeling from him, but try focusing on the present and I hope you will get a chance to open up to him about how you're feeling. You may find he will also open up in turn.

Sending hugs and I'm always here to talk Heart

@sweet_baking Thank you for your thoughts they are definitely helpful. I do think he might be not emotionally ready to talk about whats going on but its been hard to tell with him being distant.

@Autumn23 @Bree-RO Thank you for your input. I have just asked to see him to talk things out. But if the talk doesn't work well I might try writing it down like you have suggested

Hey @JosephineMaie, I totally understand what you are going through, many of my friends have gone through this and it is hard to know what to do. Being there for him is the most greatest thing anyone can do for someone going through something like this. Always here to talk!

@JosephineMaie it's a really mature and brave step to ask him to talk, I do hope that you will be able to discuss how you're feeling with him, as well as better understand his emotional situation at the moment. How are you feeling today? 

hey @JosephineMaie just wondering how everything is going? Heart