cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Broke up briefly, would you start the date afresh?

My boyfriend and I met in December last year and started spending a great deal of time together. I'm doing year 12 and he has finished school and is working. At the time we met I knew I was coming into a stressful year, had recently made the long~coming decision to leave my boyfriend of a year and a half, and hence was very against setting myself up for a painful, and school~distracting breakup. So we were seeing eachother for about 3 months to build some trust and get to know eachother more before deciding whether we would work together. It was exclusive since the beginning, we were going on dates and only with eachother. But we made it official on February 19th and didn't say I love you until about late March or early April. However at some point in May his work was on strike with the unions, I was going through a lot of sacs, things got very stressful, and he was beginning to look at a career for next year. He broke up with me out of the blue, kindly, in person, tearfully. I took it very well~ shocked, but stopped contact with him and dragged myself through my normal routine of school and the gym. I knew that he was a good person, that atleast he did it before school got too serious, and that I would be ok in the long run. However two days later he contacted me saying it was stupid, that he wanted me back and it was idiotic to leave. I wasn't going to put myself through another breakup, I wasn't sure if this was just an act of being uncomfortable as he was suddenly single, or if he genuinely wanted a relationship again. heck, I wasn't even sure if I wanted a relationship again. I'd taken the breakup so well, it hurt like hell but I've never soothed myself that way before, I didn't know how to trust he wouldn't leave again. I told him I didn't want to get back together yet, we needed to be friends for a little bit so I could think. The next day though, we caught up and the day went well, but towards the end of lunch we were joking around about something, he came round to playfully pick me up and that contact hit us both~ resulting in a kiss. It freaked us both out, I started crying because i missed him, we sat down and talked. I wanted to atleast know why he left. He gave me his reasons, they were solvable and we began going on dates and starting over, working on rebuilding that trust and fixing the problems that caused him to leave. We started dating officially again on June 2nd, a month ago.
As we were technically only really "broken up" completely for two days, officially off for three weeks, I don't know whether to count it and use June 2nd as the date we will go by for how long we've been together. I've been exclusive with him since November, but the icky "official" dates and "seeing eachother but not dating" make it extremely hard when someone asks how long I've been with him, or what to hold as an anniversary date if we get to it one-day.
Highlighted

Re: Broke up briefly, would you start the date afresh?

And what I mean by "broken up" completely is those two days was where I believed we weren't getting back together. I thought he had made his decision to leave and I had to suck it up and accept it. When people ask me how long we've been together I always say "since November" because that was when we were going on dates and openly said we wouldn't see other people. But the official date I don't know whether to count as June 2nd, or Feb 19th. He wants to say June 2nd, I know dates shouldn't mean anything to me but saying we've been together for only a month is almost offensive because I've been his for so much longer.
Highlighted

If it doesn't feel right to you to say that you've only been together for a month, since technically it's been much longer, then I think it's fine to say that you've been together since February. Ultimately, you have to do whatever makes you feel comfortable, which sounds like considering February as the date of the beginning of the relationship.

What do you think?

Also, I just want to say @tashmcl that it sounds like you've been very mature about this, coping well with the initial break up and being able to prioritise your education, and even now considering how to talk about the relationship. Well done!  

// Spiral outward, keep going. //

Thank you very much. I used to be a person who was obsessed with social media and trying to prove that I could have a long term relationship to be seen as a good partner. In my last relationship we dragged out our relationship and were miserable in the last 6 months, I put so much pressure on him to get our 1yr anniversary right, so I could post it on Facebook and our friends could view us as the perfect couple. But in fact the day was horrible and we weren't happy at all. I've brought this topic up with my partner now, and suggested maybe we don't worry about a date. We just say we've been seeing eachother since December and be able to celebrate being together whenever we like ~ when we met, both official dates, Valentine's day, no pressure or worries on making celebrating compulsory, just when we want to. It's a relationship, not a marriage. We've also never put our relationship up on social media, I just tell people who ask and its personally probably my most happiest relationship : specifically because he empowers me to look at these faults I have in my views and attitudes, and encourages me to improve myself and we focus on being happy, not seeking public attention. He is happy with the idea.
Highlighted

Hey @tashmcl

I just really want to acknowledge your amazing growth from being someone "obsessed with social media" who valued how others viewed you more than how you viewed yourself, to someone that feels happy in a relationship because he "empowers me to look at these faults I have in my views and attitudes, and encourages me to improve myself and we focus on being happy, not seeking public attention".

That is incredible!

Please take a moment to fully congratulate yourself for that. It's so awesome!

In relation to your original question, I think you answered it beautifully yourself. Never forget that you have lots of the answers you need, sometimes you just need to have the conversation with someone so you can find it in yourself.