cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CW: suicide, sexual assault - 13 Reasons Why Season 2 (15+)

You may have heard that 13 Reasons Why Season 2 is being released this week. 

13-reasons-why.jpg

After the conversation and controversy the first Season sparked, the show has partnered with mental health organisations to provide support and resources.

These will be available here from Friday onwards. 

We had a discussion around the last season here, if you want to have a read. 

It's important to look after yourself and make a decision around whether or not, based on what you know, watching this show is a good idea for your own mental health.
The show contains very heavy and sensitive content, which was triggering and highly distressing for some people. We also really do not recommend that anyone under the age of 15 watch this show as it has mature content. 
However, it has generated important conversation and discussion around getting help for mental health problems. 
You know yourself best. 

If the show or conversation has brought up anything distressing or concerning for you, it's crucial that you talk about it and find support. We're here to listen. 

Remember that you can always call Lifeline on 13 11 14 or Kids Help Line on 1800 55 1800 to get immediate support.  Heart

Let us know any of your thoughts or concerns - and have a think about if you will be watching the second season, and how you will look after yourself if you do

More extensive trigger warnings for the first season of 13 Reasons Whyhttp://www.buddy-project.org/13-reasons-why. (Thanks for the link @May_

Next week we will be going LIVE chatting to the Naked Farmer... who is that and why is he naked? Go here to find out more and submit your questions for the chat!

Re: CW: suicide, sexual assault - 13 Reasons Why Season 2

thanks @gina-RO Smiley Happy

This is so important! Great thread @gina-RO

Thanks @missep , I agree! 

I will be transparent and say that I will personally not be watching either season, as I don't find it helpful for me, and don't enjoy graphic content. 
At ReachOut we promote reaching out (obviously) and talking about your mental health concerns, and believe that everyone has the capacity to be helpful and supportive to one another through life's ups and downs! 

Next week we will be going LIVE chatting to the Naked Farmer... who is that and why is he naked? Go here to find out more and submit your questions for the chat!

I am the same @gina-RO, I just can't bring myself to watch it because I'm worried some mental health topics will be displayed in an insensitive manner.

@missep That's a wise choice! 

I think your worries are correct - the representation of mental health issues was largely irresponsible from what I know. 

There are other films and books and TV shows that are empowering and eye opening about mental health, but I can't say that I think this is one of them! 

Yesterday I was doing a mental health first aid certificate and the instructor was actually saying that she felt the show raised suicide awareness. Do you think this is the case @gina-RO or that the show might glamorise it. I'm in two heads about it.

Interesting! I've heard that said before, and I think there are a lot of opinions out there about the show, and all are completely valid! 

I don't personally agree with that, as I feel there are far more responsible ways to raise awareness of suicide. Given that the show was fictional - and not based on true accounts or true representations of mental health, I don't feel it increased genuine understanding of a complex issue. but I can certainly see the other side of the argument. 

I think what's important, is to always look after yourself, and be mindful of the content you watch and read and how it impacts you.

We see and listen to so much content in a day that it's important to have discretion around your own personal boundaries, and self-care Heart

I agree with you! Have you seen the documentary The Ripple Effect? I haven't seen it myself but I've heard really good reviews about it. @gina-RO

@missep I just watched the trailer and I want to see it now! Smiley Happy

Come & join us Monday 22 for Getting Real: Life After Year 12 Exams! 
Don't forget to practice self-care regularly!