cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't control my anxiety

I've been struggling for so long with anxiety and unhealthy thoughts. I am not sure how to handle my emotions and deal with my anxiety. It has taken over who I am.

Re: Can't control my anxiety

Hi @sever and welcome to ReachOut.  We are really glad you've found us, and that you've shared with us.  Have you ever spoken to anyone else about your anxiety?  Like maybe a doctor, or a counselor? 

ReachOut has a few great resources (start with this one: 7 tips to help with stress and anxiety) & you're also in the right place to get support from our wonderful community.

(Also, I've removed one of your posts as it was a duplicate)

hi @sever and welcome to RO

well done for reaching out and asking for some help. 

have you got any supports in place or would be willing to speak to your gp and/or school/uni counsellor? 

**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

these threads here also have lots of coping strategies that might help you as well

this one  and this one

i forgot to ask in my last post- is there a particular reason your having alot of anxiety and thoughts? like a significant event like divorce, school stress, a breakup, abuse of some kind, grief... @sever

**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**

Hi @sever

A good way to deal with your negative thoughts is to write them down. Just write down whatever that comes into your mind. It's like releasing them so you don't have them in your head all day. It's definitely best to speak to a health professional like @Lola-RO suggested. Of course it's understandable that not everyone is able to have access to them. There are hotlines you can try to see if they help. 

I think anxiety is about exposure. The more 'exposed' to something (gain more experience) the less anxious you'll be. Obviously the first step and the toughest step is just doing the thing you're anxious about. Once you have been in situations and know what to expect, your anxiety would be a lot more manageable. 

I've seen multiple people about my anxiety over the years but nothing seems
to be working. I'm 16 and it worries me that I will have this amount of
anxiety for the rest of my life... I've had a lot of school stresses and
friendship breakups which have really messed with my head. Just looking for
some tools to cope with my anxiety and talk to people who might be going
through the same or similar things.

Thankyou, I will give that a go. I have seen many different people in
regards to my anxiety and I'm just not sure what to do next.

Hey @sever, we're all different so it's probably just a matter of finding the thing that works for you.  I'm tagging a few community members who might have some good ideas / coping strategies they can suggest - @Bee @lokifish @mrmusic  Smiley Happy and this thread is also worth a read.

ReachOut has a couple of apps, too, for helping to manage anxiety that you could try if you have an iPhone - they're called Breathe and Worry Time.  Worry Time helps you to set aside a specific time each day to focus on your worries, so that you can get on with other stuff the rest of the day.  It sounds interesting (I'm going to give it go myself) so lemme know if you try it, okay? Heart

Treating anxiety is a long process @sever. It may takes years for some people to overcome their anxieties. Be patient and be persistent with the people who are helping you. Step by step you can overcome it.  

Most people are dealing with some sort of anxiety here at RO so you are welcome to talk to anyone! I for one have social anxiety. 

Hello @sever

I don't really have much else to add to what everyone else has said here.

For me I find talking to someone and challenging the anxiety helps me through it.
I guess the thing is to be persistent with it, as @LeoTheLion has said above some people take longer than others to overcome their anxieties...

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart