cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Car Crash OCD

Hey @michael17  Hope the chat with your psych goes ok and they are able to give you some support around the intrusive thoughts you're having. You are so insightful and thoughtful about how you're feeling and why - this will definitely stand you in good stead! Go you! 

Highlighted

Hi there @michael17 

First of all, well done on almost being done with exams! School has been tough this year so a road trip with friends sounds like such a good plan! I can see that you are planning your free time with the road trip, what you will be doing and how long the trip will take to get there - which is really good to think about!

I really hear you with this anxiety surrounding car crashes, especially with there being a number of people in the car. I can see how you want to change your anxiety surrounding driving/car crashes.

What is it that are bringing on these thoughts about the car crash beside the reports online?

I'm glad that you have thought about the risks involved in driving, but this gives you and your friends the opportunity to talk to each other and express these concerns to one another. It also gives you and yours the opportunity to make sure that safety measures are in place to help calm your anxiety around these issues. 

Highlighted

Hey @michael17, I'm sorry to hear you've been struggling with intrusive thoughts from your OCD Smiley Sad I also have OCD so I can definitely appreciate how distressing those thoughts can be.. I get what you mean about the thoughts getting in the way of things- I wonder if you've noticed anything in particular they get in the way of? Like for me I can't watch TV sometimes or be in a car with people without stressing.

Have you noticed any connections like that? It sounds like you have noticed some possible connection with increasing intrusive thoughts from more stress and less effective medication. Do you think tackling these things would be at all helpful?

Oh also, good job getting through your exams! Exams are hard enough without having to deal with intense anxiety and intrusive thoughts!

As for tips, I'd say defusion has helped me in the past with intrusive thoughts. Have you tried this?
Highlighted

Highlighted

@sunnygirl606 

Thank you for you response! 
I think my anxiety and OCD mainly stems from hearing about car accidents on highways. This in turn causes me to have intrusive thoughts which spiral. 

Highlighted

That's super fair @michael17, how do you hear about these accidents? Do you follow news programs, or is it more people telling you about them? 

Highlighted

It makes a lot of sense that this would be the case @michael17. I wonder if avoiding these types of stories would be helpful at all? Unfortunately we as humans have the tendency to perceive things as more likely if we hear about them more often, which isn't necessarily the case Smiley Sad

How have things been going? Have you managed to chat to your psych about the stress--intrusive thoughts connection you noticed?
Highlighted

@Lost_Space_Explorer5 

I have tried this in the past but unfortunately it doesn’t work for me. My OCD also just appears randomly so there is no connection to a certain situation. 
thanks 

Highlighted

I think its really great that you have tried some strategies out before @michael17, it's a shame to hear that wasn't too helpful though. Have you had a chance to note down when some of your intrusive thoughts occur and what happened before and after it? Apart from the stress that you mentioned, have you noticed any certain feelings or emotions that could be linked to your intrusions instead of certain behaviours/situations?