cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Confused about how to access mental health services?

Just a quick note to say that I've finally gotten around to updating this post!

Mental health funding is constantly changing (which makes it even more confusing to get help! 😕) so I wanted to make sure anyone reading this has access to up to date information Smiley Happy

hey @lokifish! great post; it's really great to find something comprehensive and clear about mental health that's up to date Smiley Happy

Hey everyone, just letting you know that I've edited the first post to include a Headspace article about how to get a mental health care plan which could be helpful! Smiley Happy

For anyone who was wondering about public services I have had pretty extensive experience with them and @lokifish  feel free to correct me if I am wrong but mostly public has “community mental heath teams’’ and they are area based so if you get accepted then you are only able to be in the team of your area. You have limited choice with who you see as your case worker (who is likely either a nurse, social worker or psychologist) will be assigned to you and you can ask to change but it has to be within the team so there isn’t always many options. There is also a psychiatrist on the team or possibly 2 or 3 who you can see and the caseworker would coordinate the appointment with the psychiatrist. Also with psychiatrists there will likely be registra psychiatrists who you will see sometimes as well as or instead of the senior psychiatrists. You negotiate how often you seen these people but it can vary and change over time. 

In in relation to CAMHS (for people under 18) it is similar only there are less teams and often your parents will be somewhat involved. You still get assigned a case worker and a psychiatrist and it is similar to adult services only maybe a little more involved. 

With the community teams they can sometimes come to your house to see you if you can’t go to them and you don’t pay for any of it. But again it is very limited choice and often workers leave and consistency is a big issue. 

As for how you access these services you can either be referred by your GP or you can get referred while in hospital but it can take months to get in sometimes up to 6months but depending on the area and your individual circumstances it can be faster. Mostly though the community teams only take severe cases where other services are not appropriate or there is significant concern for safety. 

Sometimes community teams are linked in to other other services like groups or supported housing and can help you get access to those but again it depends on the individual. 

I have been in 3 different community teams including CAMHS and adult services so if anyone has any questions about public I can try and answer them but the public system is particularly confusing and there is a lot going on so it is really hard to navigate. Of course mods are welcome to chime in if I am saying anything wrong as this is just based on my experience. 

How can I contact you? 

@AMcBrideman do you mean contacting the ReachOut moderators, or Eden1717?
I only ask this, because we are not allowed to contact other users, as this forum is anonymous.

I have an eating disorder and it's like since 2019 I could get 40 sessions a year, but I still can't access them...In general, the only thing that helps me with my illness is the Medicare Supplement plan. A year ago after reading mutual of omaha medicare supplement reviews I decided that I should buy a supplement plan that would cover my additional medical expenses. In addition, I have many other advantages such a household discount that is available in my state and quick no-hassle e-application

Hi @KimberlyMetcal, it would be frustrating having to wait to access support. Have you got any other supports in the meantime?