cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contraception and Pregnancy

So, this topic is something we've all probably thought about at one point or another. Whether or not we've had to make decisions on what type of contraceptives to try, it's handy to know that there's plenty of information out there on what's available, as well as what the options are if something doesn't go as planned.

I knew someone who became pregnant during high school, and I always admired her strength in attending school while she was pregnant.

That's really the extent of my experience with the topic, other than getting to learn about contraceptives during PDH at school... But I think it's really important to keep informed about what contraceptive options there are, and about the things that could happen if you or someone you know becomes pregnant.

So I was wondering if anyone else had experiences that they'd like to share here..?

As far as tips go, my first suggestion would be:

Find out as much as you can about the type of contraceptive you're thinking of using, including how to use it, effectiveness, what it protects against, and any possible side effects (And make sure that the information comes from a trusted source - this could be a factsheet on RO, a health professional, the box/packaging for the contraceptive etc... While there's lots of stuff on the internet and all kinds of rumours, it's safest to check the facts!)

Re: Contraception and Pregnancy

Sexual health centres and normal GPs are usually pretty good at explaining the different methods of contraception and the pros and cons of each. Also think about STIs - the contraceptive pill doesn't protect against these, only things which provide an actual barrier (male and female condoms) protect against STIs. Pretty important to consider!

Great idea for a thread! And I'm loving the suggestions so far.

I've always been really paranoid about the idea of unexpectedly getting pregnant, so I've been really conscious of knowing as much as I can about the contraception options available to me.

I found fact sheets on Reach Out (RO), really informative, and also used the websites of other reputable youth health services to get as much information as I could, before going to see a GP to talk about my options Smiley Happy

I was a bit nervous about talking to a doctor about it, but they were so cool and normal about it all, which was awesome!

Thanks guys! Smiley Happy

@JustThatGirl wrote:

Also think about STIs - the contraceptive pill doesn't protect against these, only things which provide an actual barrier (male and female condoms) protect against STIs. Pretty important to consider!

Yeah, that is very important! So sometimes it might be a good idea to maybe use a combination of contraceptives, like the pill as well as a condom for example.

I agree that the fact sheets on RO are really helpful. On the old RO site, there's fact sheets on individual contraceptive methods (see here: http://au.reachout.com/find/issues/sex-pregnancy/contraception?kt=info) although I don't see these on the new site Smiley Sad Maybe I could copy the main points from them over to this thread..?

@Georgie wrote:

I was a bit nervous about talking to a doctor about it, but they were so cool and normal about it all, which was awesome!

It's awesome that you had good experiences talking to your GPs about it, Georgie and JustThatGirl. Smiley Happy I know I'd be a bit worried about how they'd react at first too, but it's a perfectly normal thing for them to talk about and for people to be wondering about.

When I think about movies related to contraception and pregnancy, I can't help but think of Juno and Knocked Up. I've only seen Juno, but I thought it did a good job in addressing some of the feelings and thoughts that someone might have when they find out that they're pregnant, and some of the options that they have.

Has anyone else seen these movies or any others that deal with contraception and pregnancy? And how well do you think they represent the topic?

I agree about Juno, it was really well done. From what I remember it was just a good movie too Smiley Happy 

I loved the movie Juno, and the way it tackled teen pregnancy and the whole situation of unplanned pregnancies. I reckon it's such a good medium (movies) to use for young people and it makes it more relatable and not just a big scary issue.

I also find going to a "family planning" clinic is a good way to get info about contraceptives and pregnancy. I'm pretty sure there is one in every state and they are clinics that cover sexual health in general. I also in in WA we have Quarry Health Centre, which is the youth avenue of family planning in WA. All the doctors and nurses there are youth friendly and they are all experts on the topic, so I feel less intimidated/uncomfortable about talking about these things with them.

I'm glad you guys both liked Juno. Smiley Happy That's probably the most obvious movie that comes to mind for our generation for teen pregnancy, and I think it's great that it was done so well.

A couple of you guys mentioned family planning clinics and health centres, and yeah they sound like really good resources for information on this sort of stuff. To find your nearest family planning clinic, check out THIS LINK (http://www.shfpa.org.au/component/content/article/104-find-a-clinic) from Sexual Health & Family Planning Australia.

As a female I have found that Family Planning Clinics are really worth looking up!

I go to one and they only have female doctors and nurses, a lot of who are ex-midwives. This is actually very comforting during regular sexual health checks and they are specially good with explaining the details of differnt contraception,... I didn't realise there were so many versions of the pill and that each version comes in different dosages/strengths! You shoule never settle for anything you are not completely (100%) sure is right for you and your lifestyle. We are so lucky to live in a society where we can have confidential and individual advice and help which we can take advantage of.

@stripes wrote:

As a female I have found that Family Planning Clinics are really worth looking up!

I go to one and they only have female doctors and nurses, a lot of who are ex-midwives. This is actually very comforting during regular sexual health checks and they are specially good with explaining the details of differnt contraception,... I didn't realise there were so many versions of the pill and that each version comes in different dosages/strengths! You shoule never settle for anything you are not completely (100%) sure is right for you and your lifestyle. We are so lucky to live in a society where we can have confidential and individual advice and help which we can take advantage of.

That's awesome Smiley Happy

I know that I'd really like to find out some more information on options for people who can't swallow pills, since I'm one of them Smiley Tongue I've heard that there's chewable pills, but I haven't found much out about them and I'd like to know more. It's great that I know I can go ask my GP or a family planning clinic about them and see what they recommend, or whether a different type of contraceptive might be better.

Highlighted

@supersky Apart from the chewable contraceptive pill there's also the option of having an implant or injections. Each has its pros and cons and you'd really need to chat to a doctor or someone at a sexual health clinic to work out what would be best for you - and then try it out. All forms of the contraceptive pill are quite small tablets though. I used to have trouble swallowing tablets but the contraceptive pill is probably one of the easiest tablets to swallow given its size. Just something to think about Smiley Happy