cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Contraception and Pregnancy

Hope you don't mind a guy commenting in this thread. Smiley Very Happy

One of the most surprising things I've heard girls say is "Oh, the pill wasn't right for me."
"Really?" I reply. "Did you try a different version of it?"
"What do you mean a different version?"

So many girls seem to be unaware that there's not just one contraceptive pill but, as stripes points out, there are countless contraceptive pills! Not to mention implants, injections and such as JustThatGirl states.

But, as JustThatGirl also pointed out earlier, only a physical barrier (e.g. condom) can protect both parties from a STI.

As for Juno, it's one of my favourite films, but I feel like the option for abortion wasn't given enough gravitas. She has a minor freakout about it and then the movie ignores it from that point onwards.
I've dated two girls in the past who have had abortions (neither were caused by me!) and both said that, although they wouldn't want to do it again, it was still better than the alternative.
Highlighted

Oh, one other important point I want to make:

Contraception and pregnancy is a two-person thing. Both parties are equally responsible for ensuring that proper measures are taken, and they share the responsibility for what might happen if they neglect to take those measures.
Highlighted

JustThatGirl - That's a really good point, thanks Smiley Happy I've got a lot of options to discuss with my doc. Smiley Happy I hadn't thought about the size of the pill possibly making it easier.

Lex - Nope, we don't mind. Comment away! Smiley Very Happy That's great that you're aware of the different pills and other contraceptive options, and hopefully the girls you've spoken to decided to find out about them as well. You're right, it's important for both people involved to make sure they're protected and understand their responsibilities. It's a good discussion to have

with any sexual partner to make sure both people are clear on the protection they're going to be using so there's no room for misunderstanding.

As an aside, I ended up watching Knocked Up, and it started off with a misunderstanding about what contraceptives the two people were using. The misunderstanding occurred because the two people didn't adequately discuss it and made their own assumptions in the heat of the moment. Then the rest of the movie was about how they'd then take responsibility for their actions, even though they didn't mean for it to happen.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Juno and abortions. It seems like it would be a tough decision to make either way, and people would really have to weigh it up based on their own personal situation and beliefs.

Highlighted

complete admiration for tenage mums that have and keep their child but also come back to school to finish education Smiley Happy

Inspire All Smiley Happy

Highlighted

there is impumon a chip u put under sskin as a contraceptive Smiley Happy

Inspire All Smiley Happy

Highlighted

@Lex wrote:
Oh, one other important point I want to make:

Contraception and pregnancy is a two-person thing. Both parties are equally responsible for ensuring that proper measures are taken, and they share the responsibility for what might happen if they neglect to take those measures.

Snaps! This is such an important point!

I have so much admiration for my partner for being super-supportive around this stuff. He did heaps of research on contraception too, and we made sure that we were both comfortable and aware of the potential consequences of our actions before 'going there'. I.e. Having sex always means that there's a possibility of pregnancy. But so true that there's dual responsibility.

@inspire All - I think you mean Implanon? It's like a little flexible plastic rod about the size of a matchstick that goes in your upper arm, and when inserted correctly (by a doctor) it is an effective contraceptive for 3 years Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Great Topic guys!

I agree this is a topic that isn't discussed as much as it should, especially in schools and with teenagers. 

I absolutely love that there are guys here talking about it (kudos to you Lex) because it really should be the responsibility of both parties because the consequences will effect both the girl and well as the boy. 

There are so many options for contraception out there that I think it really is important that you do your research and most importantly see either a G.P or a family planning clinic to get all the right information. 

Sometimes I worry because not all the information on the internet is true, so I always feel safer talking about medical stuff with the experts. 

I find the hardest thing about taking the pill is that you need to take it every day, and at the same time of day.There are also all these no nos like vomiting and taking antibiotics that you need to remember. 

There's also an injection you can have every 3 months as a form of contraception (depo-provera). Helps those people like me who tend to forget to take the pill every day but doesn't want to go down the pathway of a long-term contraception like implanon. 

Highlighted

Hey guys,

Great topic. Smiley Happy Definitely something we all need to be more open about! And unfortunately it is not discussed nearly enough in schools!

I know one of my good friends gets the implanon (or the depo-provera - not sure which?) and it works well for her because of other medication she is on she can't take the pill. 

Just remember that when you go to a doctor and discuss this stuff with them they will be super impressed that you are taking the initiative to do this instead of allowing yourself to contract STIs or be faced with an unwanted pregnancy. But totally agree with Lex - it's a two person thing so make sure you discuss it with your partner/s. 

Remember safe sex is good sex! 

http://www.thefeelgooddepot.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Safe-Sex-The-Feel-Good-Depot-Way.jpg

(Just a humourous cartoon)