cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

DON’T IGNORE PLEASE

Hello everyone! It’s my first time posting in a forum. And the reason I’m doing it today is because I really need Help and advices. I’m a girl, 21 years old. I’m a smart student and this year I was accepted in one of the most known schools in my country, the thing I’ve always dreamed of and the only thing I’ve ever craved for, and it is in another city, so I have to leave my family and move to that city. My problem is if I want to step forward and get my degree, my parents should send me bills to pay my rent, to eat, transport, school supplies.. , and if they do so, my siblings won’t get nothing anymore, my parents are very humble, now they are so stressed about that , and I clearly see that this is so hard for them to maintain they just can’t afford all of this ...

Am I being narcissistic by wanting so bad to finish my studies and to have a perfect job that can get me and my family out of this shit? 

Am I being selfish for letting my parents suffering because I want to study?

Should I stop studying so that my parents wouldn’t be stressed about having money ?

thank you for reading 

PLEASE HELP ME !!

Re: DON’T IGNORE PLEASE

Hey @Camilli 

Thank you for coming here to share what you are going through. You sound like a very determined person who wants to learn and there is nothing wrong with you for wanting to succeed in your studies.

I can understand why you'd be feeling worried about your parents but I am sure they want you to take this opportunity as much as you do. Do you think you could tell your parents that you are worried about the financial aspect of you moving to study? Heart 

Also, just letting you know that I have sent you an email to look out for Smiley Happy 

Re: DON’T IGNORE PLEASE

Hi @Camilli. Welcome to ReachOut.

Firstly I just want to say how great it is that you have come to seek help. It's not always easy, especially with tough situations such as what you are going through. Congratulations for getting into the big school! I'm sorry to hear that you are feeling stressed about continuing your studies and finances. You are certainly not selfish for wanting to educate yourself, following your dreams and give yourself your best chance. Nor are you being narcissistic for wanting these things either. The fact that you are worried about how this will effect your family means that you are a caring person and very selfless.

I think the best thing to do would be firstly just to talk to your parents about how you are feeling and your concerns for your siblings. Your parents sound supportive of you and the whole family so I'm sure they have their own thoughts about how to best support everyone and maybe their insight could ease your stress.

Also you might want to do some research to check your eligibility for financial support from the government. I know that there are a few claims (youth allowance, rent assistance, subsidies, student loans etc.)  that assist students who study away from home and require financial support for rent and school supplies and other needs. It might be worth taking a look at that.

Let me know how things go for you.