cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSP rejection + BPD

Hi all,

I'm currently in a bit of a pickle. I applied for the Disability Support Pension back in October 2018. Today I got a phone call to notify me that my application had been unsucessful. I was torn apart and couldn't stop crying. I felt I had such a good chance at being approved and put my all into the application (psych evaluations dating back to 2007, current medication information, testimony from both my GP and treatint psychologist). 

I am diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and Manic depression. 

I haven't ever been able to hold a steady job for longer than a few months and my attempts are returning to school seem to crumble very quickly. 

I spoke to Centrelink a little bit about why I wae unsuccessful. These days they have three criteria you must meet to be successful. 

1. Stable diagnosis (I was diagnosed in 2015, supported by documents)

2. Treatment ( exhausted all treatment options, no positive outlook on recovery for at least two years) 

3. Fully Stabilised - this is where I ran into an issue. BPD is incredibly unstable on the best of days. I was told that because there was no guarantee I would still be extremely ill during the next two years. I had failed the criteria required. 

I'm wondering if there is anyone out there that can advise me if they've ever been in a situation like this or what my potential next move should be. 

Looking for work is not something I am able to do at the moment, I struggle to function with things like self care or attending appointments, phones calls, social situations. 

Any advice would be welcomed 

P.s: you're all wonderful 

Re: DSP rejection + BPD

Hey there @luxeyes and welcome to ReachOut! Smiley Happy 

I'm sorry to hear about the disappointing news, it sounds like you put a lot of work into your application and being unsuccessful can be disheartening. 

It's okay that looking for work isn't an option for you right now, if it's not something you feel ready for, you don't have to get a job. 

Have you spoken to your GP or a psychologist about your next steps? They would likely have a better idea of what you can do next, what do you think?

-----

Our new guidelines are now live, check them out here!

Hey @luxeyes Smiley Happy

Centrelink can be a nightmare at the best of times, ey? Unfortunately more people are denied on the first go than are approved. I'm in a similar predicament to you and have been reluctant to apply for the DSP for exactly that reason Smiley Sad

Like @Jay-RO, I reckon chatting to your treating team would be your best bet in terms of exploring your other options. How've you been coping this week? Here for you Heart

hi @luxeyes, how have you been lately?