cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driving anxiety

Hi

I’m turning 16 this year and I’m getting my L plates this year and I’m extremely nervous about taking the L plate exam to get my L plates and I’m also extremely nervous about driving in general 

How can I stop worrying about the L plate exam? 

How can I stop worrying about driving in general?

Re: Driving anxiety

Hi there @JonoG! I just got my Ls so if you have any questions about it, feel free to ask Smiley Happy I was really nervous about driving too, I'm actually having lessons with someone who specially works with people who are anxious about it - do you think something like that could work for you?

Hi @JonoG,

Feeling nervous to start driving is something a lot of drivers go through- I certainly did! If anything, I believe that it tells me that you are taking the responsibility of driving very seriously- which is actually one of the qualities that will make you a safer driver Smiley Happy

In terms of the L's test, if you are wanting to see what it's like a get an idea of what to expect, there are practice L's tests online that can be really helpful. I found doing the practice tests brought down my anxiety because I could see what sorts of questions they were going to ask and practice my answers to see if I was on the right track. Is this something you think might help?

@roseisnotaplant has mentioned a great idea about finding an instructor with experience working with people who are nervous about driving. What are your thoughts?

Check out our community activities calendar for October 2019 here

I think that sounds good
Highlighted

I will look into it

I think that sounds good

I will look into it

Hi @JonnoG
If you type the @ symbol and then the users name who you are responded to they will be notified to come and check the reply Smiley Happy

Like @Jess1-RO & @roseisnotaplant I was nervous to start driving too! It seemed quite daunting for me because I'd never driven anything or had any knowledge about cars or how they worked. Getting behind the wheel was the scariest part for me, and with that mum started me on a quiet road and we did some stops and starts until I felt confident within myself, and we gradually added distance and corners and everything else as I picked it up.

If there is one bit of wisdom I can give you, it's to take a deep breath, and try to plan a lesson for when you are calm and relaxed. Try to have faith in yourself and know that learning a new task can take time, and remember to be patient with yourself Smiley Happy x

Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart