cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drug addiction

Hello all. I am B. I like this guy I met a few months back. Everything was going okay until I got to know that he is addicted to drugs. He told me about it himself while opening up to me. He started drugs when his ex gf cheated on him. He lost his loved ones at a very early age and he was kind of holding on to the ex because  he wanted her to stick around. He has given up on having a normal life but I do not want to give up on him. He mentioned he wants to stop but he cannot. I need some advice on how to get him out of this, how to be more helpful. Please help

Re: Drug addiction

Hey @Beautifullife, welcome to ReachOut! I applaud you for supporting him, you're an awesome being for doing so Smiley Happy. As for what to do to help him get out of this, perhaps you could encourage him to seek professional support (e.g., see a GP)? We also have an article here that I reckon you should check out for more tips on how to support him. Do you reckon this might help? 

Heya @Beautifullife Smiley Happy

I agree with @Esperanza67 that supporting him while he seeks help is one of the best things you can probably do, especially if he's said he wants to stop (this is actually a good sign! People have to want to change - we can't change them ourselves). Healthcare professionals will be able to advise him on how to safely come off drugs and can help him work through the underlying issues that've led to the drug use (they also won't report people to police, if that's one of his concerns). Could you make a GP appointment for him and then offer to come along?

It's really important to take care of yourself throughout all of this, too. What sort of things do you like to do in your spare time? Heart

Hello there. I really went to whatever extent I could to help him. But he keeps pushing me away for some reasons. Ever since he opened up to me, he speaks of negative things only. I am scared that he won't let me help. As far as the go is concerned, he would never want to go to one. He doesn't like opening up to people much. In fact, he told me things he didn't tell anyone before. I really need to help him before it gets worse. Is there anything I can try other than gointg to a GP?

Hey @Esperanza67 thank you so much for the welcome and for the prompt reply. Unfortunately he really dislikes GPs and I wanted to know if there is anything I can do on a personal level so that I can help him as much as I can. I know supporting him is going to be a very hard task because he keeps pushing me away all the time although I am the only person he opens up to. I was wondering if there is anything I could do to help him other than taking him to a GP?

No worries @Beautifullife! The main reason I suggested he see a GP is that you've previously mentioned that he wants to stop, but he cannot, and so I thought a GP (and other professional supports) could assist him through this. As for what else you could do to support him, is there other friends and family he could also reach out to for support?

I'm also wondering whether you've managed to have a look at the article I linked to you earlier?

@Beautifullife I think those feelings are totally understandable. It can be really hard and burdensome when we're dealing with these things alone (which is why professional help can be useful, but I respect his decision to not see a GP at the moment Smiley Happy)

I admire how you're wanting to stick by him and offer your support. It shows that you're a really wonderful person Heart

Is the "pushing you away" in response to your suggestions of getting help? The idea of giving up on coping strategies we've relied on for a long time can be pretty terrifying (I've been there) even when we know they're maladaptive. Would you be up for chatting to a service like Kids Helpline? In my experience they're pretty good at supporting people who are supporting someone else, and they can give you some ideas as to how you can help him.

hi @Beautifullife,

how are you going? it is very kind of you to want to support him, and i hope you are taking care of yourself too Smiley Happy

another option you might have already come across is the Alcohol and Drug Information Service. here's their blurb on what they do, as well as a link to the number to call and FAQs about calling up:

"Whether you are having issues with alcohol or other drugs, are concerned about someone else’s alcohol or other drug use, or just have general questions about alcohol or other drugs, you can call ADIS any time of the day or week for support, information, counselling and referral to services in NSW."

https://yourroom.health.nsw.gov.au/getting-help/Pages/adis.aspx

Your Room is also a great website with information about different drugs e.g. their effects on the body, what to do in an emergency, information on self-help associations

Just an update guys. I got to know that he has been lying all the time. He has too many people to talk to. And he made it very clear he doesn't want me around. I feel terrible. I've put in too much efforts trying to get him help and turns out he never cared. Stopped answering my phonecalls and all. 

But I want to thank you all for your prompt responses. I hope the thread helps someone who really wants to fight drug addiction.

Thank you

Oh no @Beautifullife that really sucks Smiley Sad I'm sorry you have to go through that

Thank you for the update and take care, you sound like a lovely person Smiley Happy