cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Everything is so overwhelming. What do I do?

Hi everyone,

I have been dealing with a lot lately and I am struggling and would really appreciate some suggestions as to how I can cope better with all the stress that I’ve been dealing with for 7 weeks.

what has happened in the past 7 weeks: 

I have been feeling down a lot lately and heaps of things keep happening that add to how I’ve felt.

- first thing that caused me to feel down was when I started questioning life. Well is life meaningless or not? It has to be to humans if nothing happens after we die right? I can’t get rid of these thoughts, I’ve been consistently thinking about this along with everything else.

- next thing was my stepdad got sacked for literally no reason. 

- then I found out I am moving house and school! I had to say goodbye to all my friends, it was so hard and I’ll probably never see them again.

- then my nan had a really bad fall which left her with 15 stitches in her forehead and her whole face was bruised.

- my gymnastics coach broke her foot in 5 places and needed surgery but she had a reaction to the pain killers and was throwing up for a whole day and was In a lot of pain. She was the one I’d talk to about all this stress because she took my private lessons which was a great time to talk as no one else was in the gym but I’ll never have her as my coach again.

- this ones a little crazy but my step mums dad got his leg amputated below the knee but I was just really sad for my step mum because they told her that they werent expecting him to wake up because he had open heart surgery 10 years ago.

- then my pops wife’s mum (so my step grandma?) died and I was really sad for her (I still am) 

- then last week I woke up to my mum saying I need an ambulance on the phone. My pop was having a stroke. He had one earlier in the year and nearly died so it was very hard to see it happen again.

So this is part of what’s been happening for me and I was wondering if I could get some coping strategies or ideas of what has helped you during tough times. I’m really struggling and don’t know what to do. I’ve had trouble sleeping, eating, my mood is very low and I have a really low self esteem. I was already underweight so now I am really underweight and I don’t know what to do about that because I can’t even make myself eat a whole meal.

I really would appreciate your opinions and really need some help.

thank you

-A

Re: Everything is so overwhelming. What do I do?

Hi @Anolacox14 thank you for reaching out to us, it takes a lot of courage to open up. It sounds like you have the weight of the world on your shoulders right now with everything that has been happening to loved ones around you. Any of those events alone would be difficult so I can only imagine how you are feeling, on top of having to move house and school. I'm really sorry to hear that you are struggling and it's great that you recognise you could do with some support. I'm wondering if there's anyone at home you can talk to or a close friend you could call? Sometimes it helps to get things off our chest or to write down our thoughts and feelings to try to make sense of it all. I would recommend getting in contact with Kids Helpline or eHeadspace who offer free counselling support, either on the phone or via webchat. They will be able to go into greater detail on some coping strategies. Self-care is really important right, what are some things you can do to look after yourself today? We're here for you Heart

It is very hard to deal with but I’ve been hiding me feelings from the people around me because I don’t want to make other people have to deal with it too. I have been on KHL and I have a great counsellor there that I talk to twice a week. I feel worse everyday and feel as if nothing will help me get better. I really need help but I can’t get it.
I’m not sure what I should do that would help look after me today.

I can really understand not wanting to tell anyone how things are going for you.. although I am sure the people who love and care about you would be happy to talk to you about everything. I know it doesn't always feel like this but you can try and remind yourself of how you feel about listening to your family and friends. What do you think? You mention needing help and seeing a KHL counselor, do you have any face-to-face support? Self-care can be about doing things that make you feel good, even just for a moment Heart

I am not seeing anyone at the moment, just hiding away on the inside in pain. I really don’t know what to do or what to say tho. I really need help
Highlighted

Hey @Anolacox14 just remember that you're not alone in this and if you do reach out to a helpline or counselor, they're trained in having these types of conversations, so can help you through it Heart