cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Frustration & issues with schoolwork

Hello @winterr002, it is great to hear that you are feeling comfortable with the idea of emailing ! It can definitely be easier to get your point across over email compared to when in person. It is nice to hear that you are enjoying school, hopefully your new classes will be interesting. I think Tiny_leaf has provided some awesome suggestions, hopefully you find them to be helpful.
Highlighted

Awesome suggestions, thank you! @Tiny_leaf I definitely will be keeping paper beside me to rip or scrunch. I like the idea of scribbling or writing down if I struggle with anything, I think it will definitely help. I can see play dough working, unfortunately I don’t have any. Definitely, taking breaks is sometimes what I do & it works! 

I’m unsure with what works best & doesn’t for me but I did the quiz & it seems like it’s Visual, Examples, Discussing & Experiences that work well & I agree with it. What doesn’t work though, I think if it’s written, sometimes it works but it wouldn’t be something I would choose. On the quiz, I avoided any Graph option, so I assume that’s one. 

Highlighted

Hey! @Sophia-RO Yup! It seems to be a good option & I agree, it’s much easier to do than in person & a lot less overwhelming. Yeah hopefully! They were really good suggestions & I definitely am going to try them! 

Highlighted

@winterr002 with the playdough, you can make your own if you want, there are heaps of recipes online. (Plus you can add stuff like essential oils for scent or things like uncooked rice for texture)

Do you think breaking any writing down to smaller, colour coded chunks might work? That's something that helps me when I can't concentrate with writing.

Also with the visual thing, mind maps can be really useful, and you can use illustrations instead of words if that works for you.

With looking at examples and experiences, would YouTube help?

I'm sure there would be lots of examples online, especially with the subjects you have.

There would probably be both people talking about their experiences and also concrete examples of things.

Highlighted

Hi @winterr002! I'm so happy that you've been getting such great advice Smiley Very Happy 

I think that emailing like @Sophia-RO suggested could also be a great idea! That way you could prepare some things that you want to say, like what you struggle with and what help you think you could benefit from. You mentioned the lady at school which you liked and maybe they could help you figure out how you can pass on the message Smiley Happy

I'm also thinking about the feelings you described... it sounds like having a fresh start will really help. I picked up that you were saying how you think you'll automatically fail, this isn't true at all! I think one thing that helped me was to try and counter these thoughts head-on and say the opposite, even if I didn't believe them. You have no evidence you'll struggle or won't be able to do these subjects, especially if you like them! I really liked @Tiny_leaf 's suggestion about writing your negative thoughts on the paper and ripping them up, because it's really the thoughts that are the baddies here!

Are you going into senior years at school? One thing that I has found helps with my confidence is to read ahead. So, if you've got some time before a lesson, you can read the textbook or watch some youtube videos on the topic. Maybe even make a glossary of terms or ask your teacher for a syllabus. That way the work won't be entirely new to you and you'll feel more confident before you even start. Do you think that could help?

Highlighted

@Tiny_leafOh I didn’t know that, I’ll be checking it out for sure. 

I think it might work. It’s a good idea! 

MindMap sounds good, I’ll be giving that try! 

I think YouTube might help. I agree 

Thank youuu!!

Highlighted

Hey! @StormySeas17 Yeah! The advice is amazing!! 

I agree, definitely less to worry about & i can prepare which makes things easier. Yeah maybe! 

Yeah, I really need a fresh start. Yeah, I’ve got to start changing the way I think, It will definitely help to think opposite. Yes I agree!! Yeah the suggestion was great, I’ll be giving it a try for sure, I think it will work. 

I just started Senior Year this Yr actually but I still think it will work & help, to read about the topics as i’ve got some textbooks for the new subjects. I’m back to school next week so I see it working thank you!!!