cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Help? Counselling. Not taking full advantage....

@Myvo Generally I get the feeling my GP is more supportive... She said that my symptoms generally fall into BPD -something that was first mentioned over a year ago at a consultation with a psychiatrist but has never been mentioned again until now. She said that she thinks medication will help it's just finding the right one - I'm on number four I think. Smiley Frustrated

My psych was with me in that stopping this medication would be better as I am visibly worse since I've been on it...

Sometimes it'd be nice to have a definite diagnosis and the other times I don't care I just want to be OK. I've since looked into BPD and feel that alot of symptoms fit with me and I'm not sure how I feel about it... I feel there is alot of negativity around the diagnosis of BPD... Smiley Sad

I've been seeing this GP for several years now and am coming up to 2 years with my psych, the thought of finding someone new is petrifying... But I am wondering, would a second opinion hurt?

Again I'm lost. and am not sure what I am supposed to do and which way is forward. I'm so tired of this constant battle and I'm not sure I want to fight anymore. I never seem to get anywhere, its always a step forward and 2 back. 
I have no one around me who I can talk to about any of this, my support system is almost non-existent and that's probably my own fault. People can only listen and support for so long before they get sick of you. Smiley Sad

Thanks to those who have replied.

Hey @Bubblez

Sorry to hear about how you've been feeling, and i'm also sorry to hear how you feel about the negativity surrounding BPD! I think it really depends on the people you talk to, because among my friends and colleagues, BPD is not something that's viewed as "negative" at all! We all have our own struggles, and there may be a bunch of reasons why your psychiatrist hasn't provided you with that diagnosis.

I'm sure you've also heard this before, but it's good to keep in remind that a diagnosis isn't something that defines you, nor is it necessarily with you for life. With that being said, I totally agree that it can give you some peace of mind to know or have a better idea what you're going through, and in that case a diagnosis can help!

I personally don't think a second opinion would be a bad idea at all, and it might help you give you some more peace of mind around it. I was also just wondering if you'd discussed your thoughts about BPD (and that your psychiatrist & GP mentioned it before) with your psychologist? 

One more thing you might find helpful is this fact sheet on Borderline Personality Disorder on RO. Feel free to have a read through it and see what you think!

Hi @benjamin_ 

I just get the feeling there is alot of negative stigma with BPD compared to mental illnesses such as depressive or anxiety disorders... 

I visited a psychiatrist simply for an assessment over a year ago and she made the suggestion of BPD as a diagnoisis... But after the appointment it has not been mentioned again and so I haven't even thought about it let alone discussed it with anyone.

When I next see my psychologist I might bring it up, I'll see what happens... 

I know at the end of the day, a diagnosis doesn't really mean anything but I sometimes think that maybe with a diagnoisis I can know why 'I am the way I am' and get treatment... I feel as though I don't know what to do and the professionals I have don't really know either... Smiley Frustrated 

If I were to get a second opinion where would I even start? 

@Bubblez I understand where you're coming from. There is lots of stigma associated with mental health, and I think sometimes people just need a little more education. BPD is something that not everyone knows about, so perhaps that might be why people seem to respond that way. 

I completely understand why you would want to know why you are the way you are. After I was actually diagnosed with an anxiety disorder I actually had some relief because I knew what was going on with myself, that other people out there were going through the same thing, and there were things I could do to help cope . 

I think it would be a great idea to have a chat about it with your psychologist, and perhaps you could even start by discussing your curiosity about your diagnosis with them too. That might be a great place to start. 

If you want to get a second opinion,  you could see your GP and explain that you want to see a different psychologist - they can refer you to someone else. When you do meet your new psych, you can also talk to them about arranging consent for the notes to be provided from your last psychoogist to help the transition too. 

I feel as though I shouldn't feel this way and that a diagnoiss might help me make sense of what I am feeling and dealing with... When I recieved my anxiety diagnoiss it was a relief; other people feel like this, there is thing that will help and maybe I won't always feel like this...

I'm thinking I'll discuss my diagnosis, BPD and several other things at my next appointment with my psychologist in a months time...

What if I want a second opinon overall? 
I'm not sure if I've done the right thing in regards to my medication... I know it's making me worse yet I reluctantly agreed to having my dose increased and am feeling worse. Do I believe the 'it gets worse before it get's better' or is it a sign that I should stop? Smiley Frustrated Smiley Sad 

Right now I've no idea which way is forward. Smiley Frustrated

Hey @Bubblez sorry to hear your new meds are making you feel worse. Did you psych or GP discuss the potential side effects of increasing your dosage or give you an expectation of how long it would take to work? We can't give medication advice here, but before you stop taking your meds please let your doc know what's going on. Don't wait until your next scheduled appointment if you're really not feeling good, give them a call or email.

@ElleBelle Side effects of increasing weren't mentioned or a time frame other than seeing her in 2 weeks... I asked my GP what would happen if it made me worse and she said then we would stop it... I was reluctant to increase because I was already feeling worse on the new medication (which I've been on about a month and now on day 4 of increase) and my psychologist was with me in thinking that I was worse not better on it and stopping would be beneficial. Smiley Frustrated

Maybe I'll call my GP tomorrow...? (My appointment is a week away)

Highlighted

Jeez @Bubblez, it sounds like the two of them are not communicating very well with each other. It would be much more helpful if they were on the same page and not giving you conflicting info. I know you've received a lot of info and suggestions already, and it can be a bit overwhelming, especially if you're already not sure about your current state of professional support. Having said that, if you feel like your GP isn't listening to how you feel on certain meds, have you thought about asking for a referral to a psychiatrist? Psychologists cannot prescribe medication (which is why they often work in partnership with GPs) but psychiatrists can. They may also be able to offer you a second opinion on a diagnosis, since this is something it sounds like you're curious about.

In the meantime, is there anything you can do tonight or tomorrow to help you feel better? We have a really cool thread chock full of coping strategies and distractions!

I guess they're not communicating as well as I thought/hoped.. Smiley Sad 

I know my GP read the notes from my latest session with my psychologist (which finshed literally minutes before I saw my GP) as she said she read them and was the one to bring up medication and my thoughts that it wasn't working...

I did wonder about seeing a psychiatrist after my recent appointments but wasn't enitrely sure how to go about it and if/how it would help. I also get the feeling that my psychologist doesn't really know what to do with me... Yay. Smiley Frustrated
Something else to add to my list tof things to discuss... 

I guess my biggest issue at the moment is not knowing how to tackle everything and move forward... But only I can figure that out...?

I'm cheading to bed with some music to try and relax and hopefully even sleep...

Thanks @ElleBelle Smiley Happy

Hey @Bubblez, I think it's a really positive thing that you're so proactive with seeking out another form of help, as you don't feel like the appointments with your psychologist and GP are helping as much as they could.

This Fact Sheet can put you on the right track to finding the type of help you're looking for. It's a got a link in there to Beyond Blue's Find a professional page which is really helpful, plus some other references that you might find useful.

If you have any questions, just shout out. Smiley Happy