cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Help with motivation

Hi 

I am looking for some websites or forums that have active members who help with motivation and reaching personal goals.

Also I would like any tips or websites on motivation, getting started and how to avoid procrastination. 

Thanks in advance Smiley Happy 

Highlighted

Re: Help with motivation

Hey @Crumpet,

In regards to ReachOut, there's a link here to a Getting Real session (basically a live chat at the time) where we discussed motivation and goals so feel free to read through it. You've started your own thread so congrats on doing so. We've also got fact sheets on motivation and goals here (tips for getting motivated), here (setting goals) and here (10 specific ways to get stuff done). Sorry if it feels like I'm throwing too much information at you! 

For other forums, Beyondblue and their youth forum Youth Beyondblue are there as forums and perhaps eheadspace if you're looking for some personal, more spoken support.

Hope at least something there helps you! There'll probably be more people who'll post here with more motivational tips, especially from past experience. One tip I personally like and use on avoiding procrastination is keeping personal and work environments separate. For example, studying in the same room as your bed probably wouldn't be as conducive as studying in the library and playing games in the bedroom. Less things to be distracted by when they're kept separate.

Highlighted

Thankyou @RevzZ. Very helpful Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Hi @Crumpet, welcome to ReachOut! Thanks for reaching out to us in regards to your query Smiley Happy

I reckon the tips and advice @RevzZ has suggested should be more than enough to help you out, especially the tip of keeping your personal and work environments separate which I find is really helpful for me also. Is there anything specific that you need guidance with?

From past experience I’ve found using the pomodoro technique helped me stay focused, get things done and avoided procrastination. I reckon you should check an app called Focus Keeper (it’s free to download!) that I use when I utilise this technique.

Hope this helps! Smiley Happy

Hello @Esperanza67 Smiley Happy

Thankyou for the suggestions. I have heard of the pomodoro technique but I forgot all about it Smiley Embarassed I will also check out that app.

Some goals I want to acheive are: learn to drive, lose some weight, make some more money and foster and pet sit animals Heart

There are also some boring tasks e.g. cleaning the house that I really have trouble starting. Smiley Frustrated And when I cannot do the jobs I have to do it trigger my depression sometimes. 

Highlighted

Hi @Crumpet, thanks for the reply! It seems like you have several goals that you would like to achieve. My best advice that would help you achieve these goals is to break down each goal into smaller “sub-goals” where completing each one can hopefully help you achieve your “main” goal. Like for example with the goal of you wanting to foster and pet animals, perhaps you could first volunteer at your local RSPCA? I’ve also heard that there are jobs where you can actually get paid to pet sit or dog walk (I know, sounds amazing, right?) and I reckon the volunteering experience with the RSPCA could help attract potential employers. Do you think these suggestions might be helpful in achieving your goals?

As for getting around to boring tasks like cleaning, usually what I do is set exactly the same time each week where I do cleaning. I also think that the pomodoro technique could also help with completing boring tasks. Do you think this might help?

Good luck and don’t feel disheartened if everything doesn’t go to plan or you don’t achieve your goals right away. Achieving goals can take time and a lot of trial and error, but if you remain persistent throughout you will get there Smiley Happy.