cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Help

Hello, I’m quite new here and I don’t know if I should really see a professional or what. I’ve considered seeing one before but I don’t know how. I want to see a professional without my family knowing about it. I don’t know anything about the billings or fees so I need a little help. 

Re: Help

Okay I'm not a professional by any stretch of the imagination, so you should consult someone like a GP or school counsellor, but here's what I know.

Your nearest Headspace should have GPs, but I don't know about psychs and the like. I know the GP thing through friends, but I haven't lived near a Headspace until this year. GPs at headspace are free and confidential, and should be able to point you in the right direction.

Also check out what policies are in place at your local clinics. I work at a medical clinic in my hometown, which is non bulk billing (bulk billing is when your medical fees are covered by the government), but will always bulk bill under 16s. This includes psychologists and allied health professionals as well. As I understand it, most clinics have similar policies in place.

Lastly, check out what your school has to offer. The Catholic school I first went to didn't offer it, but the state school I went to after had a visiting psychologist once a month.

If you have a school counsellor, ask them what they think about getting professional help, they should be able to give you some options!

Re: Help

@caaalypso welcome to RO Smiley Happy

@trashconverters has started with some excellent information. We have a handy thread all about assessing mental health services over here.

Seeing a professional for the first time can be quite scary and daunting - especially when we're doing it alone. 

We're here to help you through Smiley Happy

Get to know each other more in our monthly Introduce Yourself HERE!

We updated our guidelines! Check them out HERE!
Remember you're amazing just as you are Heart