cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Helping out family

HI,

My cousin has been really depressed lately she is normally a happy girl but is constantly be expelled by schools in her area, she has also been [self-harming] and is getting in violent fights with her mum and sister am really scared for her, this is the last school(that she's at now) that will take her she gets expelled from there she will have to be taken away from her family.I'm really scared.PLease help Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

Moderator's Note: Post was edited to remove specific details of self-harm, in accordance with our community guidelines.

Re: Helping out family

Hi emmajade

Firstly, sorry I had to edit your post. I had to remove some specifics so that it met our community guidelines. This is to ensure this can be a safe forum for anyone who visits.

Welcome back to ReachOut. That sounds so stressful for your cousin, your family and for you. Smiley Sad

What's really great is that you care so much and want to help her.

Has your cousin sought out any help at all? It sounds like she might need to talk to someone who can listen, and help her to identify what kind of help she needs. If a school counsellor can't help, she can call Kids Helpline on 1800 55 1800; even just as a starting point it is a step in the right direction. 

If she is depressed, there are things you can do to support her, including talking to her and encouraging her and helping her to seek help.

If she isn't ready to get help just yet (sometimes people just aren't ready to admit to themselves that they need help), you can still be there for her as a friend. Avoid putting any pressure on her but make sure you're there to listen, and that's just a start; there's plenty more you can do.

Last but not least, make sure you're looking after yourself. When a family member is going through a really tough situation like this, it can cause you to get very stressed and frustrated if you feel powerless to help. Make sure you care for yourself and stay balanced.

It's very courageous of you to reach out on your cousin's behalf. It sounds like things are difficult for her right now so she's lucky to have you on her side.