cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I be around drugs and alcohol and not participate

Hey, 

just wanting some strategies I can put in place so that I can control myself more when around drugs and alcohol. I know there is always ‘just don’t go’ but I know personally for me, all that will do is make me find other ways to get stuff. I just want to be able to go to parties with friends and have fun but know I’ll be able to have control over what I do. 

Re: How can I be around drugs and alcohol and not participate

Hello @Jachkdjj753, thanks for sharing your story. I think it is great that you are reaching out for some support and advice around how to manage your drug and alcohol use. I imagine that it must be very difficult to manage your drug and alcohol use when you are at parties surrounded by others that may be drinking or using drugs. When thinking of creating some strategies, I recommend reading some of ReachOuts articles about addiction as you might find them to be helpful and informative. Some articles, like this one here, have information about what you can do if drug use is a concern.

I also recommend that you see a medical professional such as your GP if you are having some concerns about your drug and alcohol use. Your GP should be able to support you further and may be able to provide you with some other useful resources. You may also find it helpful to talk to a counsellor about developing some useful strategies. You can talk to a counsellor at Headspace, Beyond Blue or Kids Helpline. Directline is another counselling service that you could use that is specifcally for drug and alcohol use counselling. Hopefully you find these resources to be helpful! Please feel free to keep us updated Smiley Happy

Hey @Jahkdjj753. Just wondering how you've been going with this? 

I used to always partake in taking some sort of substance and now I can't even remember the last time I wasn't sober going out. For me, I was so sick of being annoyed at myself for taking substance and doing things out of my control. It took me many (many) times before I learned my lesson but I honestly find going out sober so much more enjoyable now. You get to watch everyone being messed up and have a little laugh at them. 

I find one of the main reason substance is used is because people aren't comfortable being sober and having a good time. I wonder if you've maybe looked into that at all? I know for pretty much all of my friends that they can not feel comfortable unless they've had something and really that's a much deeper issue than just taking the substance itself. 

Just something to think about! 

Hope you're doing well Smiley Happy

Hey @Jahkdjj753  thanks for posting, it's a great step to manage challenges like this in a productive way.

There's some great dialogue here- @Sophia-RO  has pointed out some resources for more structured help and @letsheal has given some thoughts about why people turn to these substances in the first place. 

If I may add one thing- if you still feel like you need to go to these parties (which is understandable- social time is important) you can try engaging in positive distractions. This might be a card game, watching a movie, helping the host cooking food and playing with any pets. You can call in your friends and encourage them to do the same. Hope that helps somewhat!

I like this forum and how many good people there are ready to help. I understand that this is a bad question, but can you please help me. I have a problem with alcohol and I get drunk at every party. I wanted to ask, is it best for me to enroll in a special alcohol rehab centre for special courses to get rid of addiction or can I get rid of it myself? I just have a serious enough problem with alcohol, because of which my life can just break down. I can't control myself when I drink alcohol and usually I do not harm anyone, but I feel that my addiction is getting worse every time. I just can't figure out what to do next.

hey @KeithTerryY ! 

It's a big decision when it comes to deciding how you best want to approach breaking an addiction. While I can't make this choice for you, from my understanding it's significantly easier to quit if you have people supporting you to do so. Enrolling in a course is definitely an option, but you can also talk to your local doctor, or a psychologist about how to best tackle things. 

Good to see you back @KeithTerryY, we are happy to have you here, and hope you can help.

Yes, I agree with @Andrea-RO, the course seems like a great stepping stone, coupled with talking to a trusted adult or professional. You can use this thread to keep us updated on your journey if you like- we are glad you have found help here Smiley Happy

Hey @Jahkdjj753!
I know you posted this a few months ago but i just wanted to check in and see how you're doing? Have you found anything that's helped you? It's good to see that you have acknowledged the problem and are seeking help! So well done!

I think for me when it comes to drugs/alcohol I am very educated on the consequences of misuse and find myself put off by personal behaviours that will have negative affect on me and those around me. However, if I do decide to drink I set boundaries for myself. For example, on a night out if I start to feel a bit sick I'll stop drinking and have a glass of water. This way I'm still able to have fun but I don't over do it. Do you think you'd be able to implement a strategy such as this?

Otherwise I would talk to a GP, they'll be able to provide with information and several resources on how to best
deal with substance use. Keep us updated with how you go!

I think all you need is like-minded people around you...

@Loony88 I agree, having a great bunch of people around us can help us feel secure, understood and safer. They are more likely to provide fun and activity that doesn't involve drug use. Do you have a group of like-minded people around you?