cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How to book a meeting with a school councillor?

So I found out after searching through my high school diary that apparently my school has two councillors and I was thinking of going to meet one of them to discuss problems I've had with anxiety and depression over the past 3 months (really 3 years but it has recently been turned up to eleven in the past 3 months). Problem is that I have no idea how to talk to them. I don't even know if I need to book an appointment, I don't even know what they look like or if they are even at school during student hours. I also live in Sydney if that helps in finding answers.

So I think the questions I'm asking are:

Where and how do I book an appointment (if I even need one) with a school councillor?

Are school councillors always around during school hours?

What is even the role of the councillor? Am I allowed to use them to vent?

What is the meaning of life, the universe, and everything? Eh, I guess I don't even know the question to that one...

Could I also ask, what are my rights as a senior high school student in a councillors office?

Can the meetings be completely confidential?

Can I allow the councillor to talk to some people about my issues (teachers) but not others (my parents)?

Any help will be appreciated.

Highlighted

Re: How to book a meeting with a school councillor?

@ItsCookie was that.. was that a Douglas Adams reference? If so, then 42 Smiley Tongue

Anyway onto the other questions:

Where and how do I book an appointment (if I even need one) with a school councillor?

It probably varies from school to school. I'd suggest trying Student Services, and ask about booking an appointment.

Are school councillors always around during school hours?

Depends on the school. Mine is at the school for only four days a week, but yours might be.

What is even the role of the councillor? Am I allowed to use them to vent?

I don't know the full definition, but you can definitely use them to vent.

Could I also ask, what are my rights as a senior high school student in a councillors office?

Again I'm not 100% sure, though there is confidentiality. 

Can the meetings be completely confidential?

Almost. The main exceptions are: if you're thinking of hurting yourself or someone else, or if someone is hurting you.

I'd suggest asking your councillor about the specifics.

Can I allow the councillor to talk to some people about my issues (teachers) but not others (my parents)?

About some issues, unless you/ someone else will be put in danger if they keep quiet. 

But otherwise yes, that should be possible. Again though, definitely worth checking.

Hope some of that helps!

Highlighted

Of course that was a Douglas Adams reference!!!
Could I politely ask, what the heck are student services‽
Would it be fine if I ask a PD/H/PE teacher about booking an appointment or if I even need to book one?
Highlighted

Hey @ItsCookie 

Welcome to ReachOut!

Regarding your question, it's hard to know what the exact process will be to book an appointment, as each school usually has a different set of procedures for how to go about organising to see someone. My best advice is to either talk to a) a teacher, b) someone at your school admin, c) your school nurse. 

Most counsellors will give you a space to vent, and talk about how you feel, but there are a lot of different techniques that therapists use to help you detangle your thoughts, some requiring more homework or input than others.

In general all meetings are confidential, however this is with the provision that you do not share something that could cause reason to believe that you may be at risk of harming yourself or others. Your specific counsellor might have other requirements or personal moral beliefs where they may share other details with other parties, but they will always be clear and explicit about this. 

I hope this helps!

Highlighted

@ItsCookie hi there.

For my high school, it was pretty easy, but lots of people (teachers too) knew I had mental health issues. I think if I remember correctly, for me personally they pulled me aside and asked or just sent me to the wellbeing part and then took it from there, but I can't remember.

I'd say just ask a teacher you trust or the principal if you like them, to try and make you an appointment.

Everything should be confidential by law, otherwise that's breaching confidentiality. 

Yes you can vent to them, that's what they're there for. I think it's only school hours yes but I'm not too sure, it would depend on the school I guess.

The role of the counsellor I believe is supposed to be there to support you with any troubles you have, someone to talk to basically.

You have your rights to feel safe, respected and not judged.

Yes I'm sure you could ask the counsellor to speak to some teachers but not your parents if you wish.

I hope you can see one, best of luck and I  hope this helps.