cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to deal with bad news

So, right now there’s mass shootings and stuff happening in Christchurch, NZ, it’s still happening, it’s really scary, and I was going to some of the places and streets mentioned on the news not that long ago and I have friends in Christchurch, even if that wasn’t the case it’s still very scary. I’m pretty bad at dealing with this kind of thing, does anyone have anything to share about how to cope with things like this in the media? I tend to struggle to turn it off and stop reading/watching/listening, but it also feels like we’re surrounded by it sometimes. Even though I keep watching it and stuff, and that’s my own fault, it really has an effect on me. I’ll think about it all the time and watch my anxiety skyrocket as someone with ptsd I don’t cope very we’ll with this kind of thing. I’m on the tram in Melbourne right now on the way to be see my siblings and that is not making hearing this news any easier 

Highlighted

Re: How to deal with bad news

Hey @Saltwaterdreamtime thanks for sharing your feelings about this - it is very distressing news Smiley Sad Hearing about distressing events is particularly upsetting when we feel some form of personal connection to the incident. It can be really hard to switch off from the news when it's so prevalent (on our phones, tvs, social media etc). I find allowing myself lots of time to process distressing news helpful - acknowledging how distressing it is and reminding myself that it is normal to be feeling upset and sad about it. Talking about it with friends also helps me to process things more and feel less alone in dealing with it. ReachOut has an article about dealing with bad world news here if you want to check it out. There's also a thread on the forums here with some suggestions about coping with distressing news.

Doing some self-care today is really important, is there anything you could do to look after yourself this evening?

Hi @Saltwaterdreamtime! I was really sad as well about the Christchurch attacks. I just came back from New Zealand a few months ago and couldn't imagine something like this happening there. It's hard for me to watch the news because it's mostly negative stuff. Sometimes I prefer to switch off and do something calming or distracting instead. It's important to remind yourself that you are safe. I have a past history of PTSD too and it took me a long time to feel safe. I also think it's important to put these things in perspective. People are more likely to get harmed or die through car accidents and diseases than shootings. Hopefully you can seek support from your family members. Smiley Happy

Thank you. Fortunately my siblings don’t know much about what’s happened and they are only children so don’t want to be talking about this kind of thing with them ❤️@WheresMySquishy 

Hi @Saltwaterdreamtime, sorry I didn't read your other posts about your siblings until later. Smiley Embarassed Are there any other family members or friends you can talk to?

Hmm not really @WheresMySquishy