cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I can't go on like this.

I cant go on like this.

I am currently not studying and I am also unemployed, and all I seem to do all day is sleep. I have no energy to do a single thing at all. I get into trouble for doing nothing with myself. I feel like my family do not understand the extent of my mental health problems. My own grandmother has given up on me and no longer wants contact with me because she is sick of dealing with my deteriorating mental health. I've felt suicidal, because I am too depressed to work and study (I walked out of work one day and I haven't returned since), and also because my life never worked out with a man I was interested in. I start the first of six sessions with a psychologist tomorrow morning, and I am looking forward to that. I had a great job. I worked at a grocery store and I worked fifteen hours a week. This was my first ever job, and I liked it, but I only liked stacking shelves and working at checkout. I did not like facing. With studying, I was attending an adult school so that I could get my certificate of education. I have completed Year 11, now I am choosing to complete Year 12. I want to complete Year 12 successfully and to get an ATAR in the nineties. I feel like I am incapable of achieving this because of the state of my mental health. I gave up studying last year because I was stressed. I dont think the senior leader at the school wants to support me anymore. And I don't want to go elsewhere to study Year 12, because elsewhere is too far for me to travel. 

Highlighted

Re: I can't go on like this.

Hi @goldilocks , 

It's nice to hear from you again, I'm sorry that you're having such a rough time at the moment. 

Seeing a psychologist sounds like a really positive step for you, and it's great that you're being proactive managing your mental health - taking that step is a huge achievement. 

I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling like your family and grandmother don't understand your mental health problems - I think it can often be hard for family members to understand, especially if they don't have any experience or understanding of mental illness themselves. I hear that you're feeling too depressed to work and study - that is a really hard place to be in, and I know other community members have lived through similar things. With the right support, I'm sure you can start to work towards your goals again - you've shown a lot of strength in posting here, and starting to see a psychologist for support.

If you have been experiencing thoughts of suicide, it's also important to discuss those with your psychologist, so that the two of you can help to come up with strategies to keep you safe Heart I hope that this community can continue to support you through this journey, we are here for you. 

Check out our community activities calendar here
Highlighted

Hi @Janine-RO,

Thank You for getting in touch with me once again. I really appreciate it.

Yesterday I started the first of my six sessions of counselling with my psychologist. We are going to focus on distraction techniques for when I am feeling low. 

Highlighted

Hey there @goldilocks 

Congrats on a big first step! It's great to hear that you'll be working on some practical strategies to help you during low moments. Starting counselling can bring up a mixture of emotions, so please feel free to lean on us between sessions.

How are you feeling after yesterday? Smiley Happy 

Highlighted

Hi @Bre-RO,

Thank You very much. I feel pretty lousy. I have already had people make me angry and I haven't been using STOP. STOP is a coping mechanism I was taught on Wednesday. STOP is: Stop, Take a step back, Observe and Proceed mindfully. When someone makes me upset, I have to try and use STOP in order to calm myself. 

Do you have any tips on how I can get a better night's rest and to avoid sleeping all day? 

@goldilocks  I'm sorry that you're feeling trapped right now. Smiley Sad Dealing with life transitions can be so hard, especially when you're dealing with mental or physical health issues and don't have the support of people around you.
I just wanted to let you know that I think you seem like a resilient person. It's really great that you have goals that you want to achieve and have taken steps to reach out and improve your mental health. Heart
I have also struggled with fatigue and sleeping issues and can relate to that part of your post. Here are some resources with suggestions that might help:
- This sleep hygiene thread.
- How to get a good night's sleep. 
- Some tips for getting a good night's sleep from headspace. 
- Another factsheet with tips.