cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I don't know why this happens

Sometimes everything feels like it's going good in my life, then for no apparent reason at all I lose motivation for everything. This past week I tried going to the gym but I hated being there and left after 5 minutes. I wanted to quit my job because I don't find it fulfilling. I purposely sabotaged my assignment at uni. I was averaging 80% in one of my units, but then I just stopped caring and now I'll be lucky to even pass it. I don't know why I get like this. I just want to curl up in a ball and lay there in the nothingness. The people closest to me get frustrated because they can't fix me and they hate having to deal with me when I get in one of these moods. The slightest things tick me off and I have to control myself from punching a wall. I haven't felt like this in over 6 months. This situation happened a lot last year and I actually fell a whole year behind in uni because of it. I just can't pinpoint what event in my life caused this downwards spiral.

Re: I don't know why this happens

Hi @HamburgerQueen, thanks for reaching out to us Smiley Happy I understand how it sucks to feel like you've lost motivation for everything and don't know what caused it Smiley Sad How long has this been going for? Have you tried contacting a helpline (like Lifeline) about this? Let us know anything else we could do to support you Smiley Happy

Hey @HamburgerQueen, I agree with what @Esperanza67 has said - what you're going through sounds really difficult and I'm sorry that it's something you're having to experience. I would definitely recommend reaching out to someone you can talk to in person but we are always here as well if you wanted to talk through it some more!! Let me know how you're feeling <3

Hey @HamburgerQueen, thanks for sharing part of what's been going on for you. It sucks when our minds make us feel things we don't understand, hey? Smiley Sad

I'm wondering, have you ever spoken to a mental health professional about this lack of motivation? And is that something you would consider?

// Spiral outward, keep going. //

@HamburgerQueen how are you going today.
===========================
Trying to make my misery
just a piece of my history
A little less victim a little more victory
-Icon for Hire

It's been going on for the past year and a half now. I moved from the country to a city, away from almost all my family and had to deal with adult responsibilities. Sometimes it all just feels too much. But I don't think I could go back home because there's limited opportunities. I've never spoken to a helpline before. My university tried to get me to go to a counsellor, and I was really keen to, but then I stopped attending class and just did everything online instead.

It is really difficult, mainly because it comes and goes. It isn't a permanent feeling. Sometimes I really have control of myself and can set tasks and feel really accomplished with myself. But then other times I can't. I feel it may have something to do with disruptions to my established routines. I think getting in contact with a counsellor would be really helpful for me.

And thanks everyone. Today seems to be a good day. I've tried setting little achievable tasks to make everything less daunting. I seem to get really overwhelmed and give up and then that leads to a downward spiral. My goal for the following week will be to get in contact with a counsellor. It's about time I spoke about what's going on inside my head.

Highlighted

Hey @HamburgerQueen, reading through your posts, it sounds to me like you have incredible strength and insight into what you need Heart I'm so glad to hear that you had a good day, and that making lists made life a bit easier for you! I also love writing lists! Sometimes I write lists of my lists hahaha Smiley Tongue 

I think it's fantastic that you're thinking about talking to a counsellor! Have you got somebody in mind? Let us know if there is anything we can do to help you achieve this awesome goal! xxx

Hey @HamburgerQueen I agree with @Autumn23 that seeing a counsellor is definitely a good idea Smiley Happy How are you going today? I completely relate with you about the struggles adjusting to city life, I moved to the city to study from a small town almost two years ago.