cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm thinking of going to therapy to get help with my problems and I'm kind of worried.

Hi, I'm new to the forums and I joined because I thought that I could get some help from people. 

Anyways, I've not been feeling well emotionally recently for the past few weeks. And I thought that I could deal with it by myself, but I couldn't. But then I thought that I could deal with it, through help from my sibling and a close friend. They were helpful but not enough for me to deal with this overwhelming feeling of anxiousness and confusion. So I made the decision to ask my sibling (I haven't yet) to take me to headspace to talk to someone about my problems. 

But as I was looking on their website I came across a thing called psychosis. So I looked into it and I found out that I might have that. Now I feel really anxious and stressed about it. I feel like for some reason a bad person for having it. I just feel really scared about it, and I don't feel like going to headspace now. 

Highlighted

Re: I'm thinking of going to therapy to get help with my problems and I'm kind of worried.

Hey @ApplesRoses 

Welcome to ReachOut forums and thank you so much for coming here to talk about what you're going through Heart It sounds like a really confusing time for you and it's really important to seek support in these times. You mentioned that you decided to talk to your sibling - have you had the chance to do so yet? 

It is really hard when you are not feeling well and sometimes the internet can make it worse. It's important to remember that the only person who can diagnose something like psychosis is a psychiatrist. However, if you feel like you identify with the symptoms of psychosis I want you to know that does not make you a bad person. I think going into headspace might help to clear up what is going on for you and will help you to be connected with the right support - whilst I think you'll benefit from this, I also know that it can be very scary getting help for the first time. 

How are you feeling about going into headspace at the moment? 

Re: I'm thinking of going to therapy to get help with my problems and I'm kind of worried.

Hey @Bre-RO 

thank you so much for that message. It's made me feel better. But, yes I've asked my sibling about going to headspace and they're very supportive of the idea. I don't feel as scared going into headspace much rather, I'm more scared of telling someone I don't know all of my problems. Like, what if they don't understand. What if, everything I've been doing is wrong and secretly, I am a bad person. What if they are judging me and what I'm going to tell them. 

But, I'm actually quite excited to go. Though equally as stressed and worried. I'll definitely being going sometime soon. 

Hey @ApplesRoses I'm really happy to hear you feel better Heart 

You've taken a huge step by talking to your sibling and it's wonderful to hear that they are going to support you. Thank you for clarifying what you meant by scared. I think any person who has ever seen a therapist can relate to that fear - it can be scary to be vulnerable, so everything you're thinking is totally valid. 

There's a few ways you could try to deal with those feelings: 

• Remember that people in those professions and especially in an organisation like Headspace usually have really strong values around being non-judgemental. They are also usually compassionate people. 
  • Even if they don't completely understand what is going on for you - they'll still be able to recommend coping strategies, different forms of therapy and provide information and advocacy for you.
  • Write down feelings, issues, topics you think are important to discuss before the session - that way if you freeze up you can go off the notes you made. 
  • Also, when you do eventually get to Headspace maybe tell them how afraid you're feeling to be in a therapeutic setting so they can support your transition into the organisation. 

Thank you so much. You've been really helpful. Smiley Happy

No worries at all Heart Let us know how you go when you eventually get an appointment Smiley Happy 

Hi @ApplesRoses, welcome to the forums!

It's really good that you've been able to recognize that getting help might be useful for you. Smiley Happy

It's worth noting that some of the symptoms associated with psychosis can also happen without you actually having psychosis, especially some of the more mood-related ones.

Even having some of the more dramatic symptoms like hallucinations don't always mean that you have psychosis.

That said, I personally do have psychosis, and I've had it for a while.

So yeah... I understand what going through those symptoms can be like, so if you need someone to talk to about what's been happening and you're not ready to tell anyone irl about it, or if you have questions you want to ask, just let me know and I'll help how I can.

(though I can't tell you if you actually have psychosis - like @Bre-RO said, only a professional can really do that)

Take care, and I hope the Headspace appointment goes okay!

Hi @ApplesRoses! Welcome to the forums! Smiley Happy

I'm sorry you're going through such a tough time and having symptoms that you don't know the cause of. Smiley Sad But well done for acknowledging that you want to get some help! It was really courageous of you to ask your sibling for help. I'm glad that your sibling is supportive. Having a good support network can make a world of difference. Smiley Happy

In my experience, mental health professionals are usually understanding that it may be difficult for you to talk about certain things. You also don't have to tell them anything that you don't want to talk about. If you do get seen by someone, I hope it all goes well for you. Heart

I agree with @Tiny_leaf. I think seeing a psychiatrist was really helpful in finding out what was causing my symptoms. I had some hallucinations, but the psychiatrist didn't think they were psychotic in nature. They helped suggest a therapy that was suited for my symptoms. So, it ended up being beneficial for me and I'm glad I went to that appointment.

Hey @ApplesRoses, thanks for posting and sharing what you've been feeling! Pretty much everyone here on the forums has some sort of lived experience dealing with mental health stuff and we all like to support each other on here, so never be afraid to ask for help!

Thinking about potential symptoms or diagnoses can be scary, huh? I don't know exactly what you're going through, but honestly when I started seeing a psych the first appointment was absolutely the hardest. Maybe you could have something nice set up for after your appointment e.g. you go to Headspace and then afterwards you go to the movies with your sibling. I'd definitely encourage you to talk to a professional about what's been going on. It's very normal to go and see a psychologist, people just don't talk about it very often because they might be worried about being judged (which is understandable but nothing to worry about because you can't fight every battle on your own in life). Also, in my experience, the people at Headspace are really kind, nice people who will listen to you without judgement. They're not there to make you feel bad or judge you. Maybe you could start off by talking to a counsellor on the Kids Helpline if you don't feel up to going into Headspace?

hey @Bre-RO @MisoBear @WheresMySquishy @Tiny_leaf 

Thank you all for your kind messages. They've been really helpful in the process of getting help. 

I finally talked to someone about my problems, I didn't go to an actual headspace but I went to eheadspace and they were really helpful. I didn't talk to them about everything that I wanted to talk about. But I'm probably gonna do another call soon. I've recently just been trying out the different self-help methods that they provided to me. It's actually been really helpful to know that I can just call someone and they'll be open to talk about anything that I want to talk about. 

Thank you all for giving me that bit of support that I needed to take that one last step to getting the help that I needed. <3