cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

I need help!

I'm new to this site... but didn't know where else to turn.

I'm currently in a job that I hate. I don't fit in, and I'm not passionate about it at all. I want to leave but I know the money is good. Is that a reason to stay? I'm unmotivated to do anything and I am feeling depressed a lot more. 

I'm currently 30% into an Animal Studies course that I love doing and I want to continue it, but it finishes in 2 months. I want to quit my job and do my study full time so I can finish it. 

I don't know what to do. I know leaving my job will make everyone around me disappointed. But I know it's not working for me. 

As you can probably tell, I am very confused about what to do. I would love advice on this. 

Re: I need help!

Hey @shirtsleeves 

Welcome to ReachOut. You've shown great initiative to seek help. Please make sure you check out our community guidelines so that you know the rules and values of these forums.

It sounds like you're in a really tricky situation, and it's definitely one I can personally relate to. Working can be really stressful, especially when you are studying as well.

I guess some questions you need to ask yourself are:

- Is there anything you can change in your current job that will make it easier for you to work? ie is there a manager or colleague you can talk to about your concerns?

- Are you able to leave your job from a financial perspective?

- Are you willing to look for a new job? 

I reckon you should have a think about it for a bit. Ultimately it's up to you.

It's really great to hear that you're enjoying your course. My friend does animal studies and she loves it!

Let us know how you go Smiley Happy

i agree with @florenceforever , it is a really hard situation to be in. Ultimately it is up to you, but the debate can be very tough between the money vs your mental well being. I always tend to side with mental wellbeing as it is most important, same with your happiness! 

Have you made a decision? Let us know with updates Smiley Happy 

@florenceforever was really on the money with that response.  I can definitely relate to what you're going through in kind of a different way.  I'm in my third year at uni and I've been pursuing genetic counseling (tons of science, some psychology) and I totally hate all the science classes, but I stuck with it because if I got into the program, I'd be making good money and it would be "a good job."  But then I started my internship, and EVERYTHING got thrown out the window, haha.  I love what I'm doing in my internship, even though it's not in line with my plan, so I had to really sit down and think about pros and cons, and I just wanted to tell someone to tell me what to do! But obviously no one could choose for me.  I ended up deciding to go after what I really love, and changing my plan, but it certainly wasn't an easy decision to make! Good luck!! 

Hey there @shirtsleeves 

I'm sorry to hear you are working in a job you don't like. I know how tough that can be and it really impacts your mood whenever you have to go to work! It's great to hear you are studying something you love though.

I did an animal studies course a few years ago and as a part of the course had to do a placement. Do you have to do that too? Placement is a great way to get to know prospective employers. Try doing placement somewhere that you might be able to get a job out of it!

Personally, I think it's always a good idea to keep your job until you have have found something new. I know its a bummer but finding a new job can take time. You also might need some money if you finish your course and decide to start studying another course (like veterinary studies!) Cat Happy

Take comfort in the fact knowing that one day you CAN and WILL leave this job you hate... but mayve for now you could consider hanging in there until you've found somewhere new that you like! Also, make sure you are practicing self care and relaxing after work.

If those depressive feelings don't go away maybe you could get in touch with a counsellor online at https://eheadspace.org.au/ ?

lanejane

Hey @shirtsleeves welcome to Reachout Smiley Happy 

You're definitely in a difficult situation. 

It is important to love what you do, but just as important as that... the money or the support you gain from it is important. 

With work, pay and passion play a 50/50 role. 

From what you've said I can see you are not very passionate towards the role of your job whereas the pay is something that makes you wonder if its worth leaving... Personally, if money was really motivating you to stay, you wouldn't consider leaving. I can see you feel as if the money isn't completely worth it.

Which is fine.... but realistically speaking, if you quit, is there other financial support waiting for you? 

I would suggest you quit if this is sorted, maybe look for another job and quit once you have one... or something just to make sure you don't struggle with paying the bills after. 

Also, with regards to your study.. its great that you are studying something you love part time Smiley Happy Pat on the back for that one!

If financially posiible for you to quit an work full time, then whats stopping you ? 

If not... why not continue part time instead of finishing in 2 months? 

Let me know how things go Smiley Happy

I think that what everyone else has touched on is completely right, so I'm not going to restate all of their great points.
I just have one other thing to bring up: how long have you been in the job? Sometimes it just takes a bit of time to settle in somewhere and stop feeling like the new person on the outside. My job has absolutely nothing to do with what I'm studying or where I want to be in life. I'm not really friends with any of the people, and a lot of the time am really aware that I don't really fit in with these people. I considered quitting a lot, and thought that I really couldn't take it.
But somehow I hung in there. I kept telling myself that the money and the routine were nice. After a few months (like, 5 or 6 months) I started to feel a lot more comfortable. I no longer dread going to work and can now even hold conversations with a lot of the people I work with. I can see myself possibly staying there until I'm done studying.
Sometimes it's just a matter of time and no longer being the newbie who doesn't really know what they're doing.

hey @shirtsleeves 

welcome to RO!

@florenceforever mentioned all the points I believe are important when considering how to make this kind of decision. At the end of the day, it's your decision to make and you shouldn't feel like you have to stay in your job to avoid disappointing other people. You need to do what makes you happy, and studying full time can be great if you can financially support yourself during that time. 

Feel free to let us know how you go Smiley Happy

Hi  @shirtsleeves 

Everyone is different, but for me personally, no matter how much I was getting paid I couldn't stick in a job I didn't love. I stuck in a job i didn't like for years and when I finally quit and got one doing something I loved I felt so much better (it was amazing not crying on the way to work everyday). 

If you are studying full time you might be eligible for centrelink? That could help with the finacial burden? Studying full time would mean you would get qualified quicker and then be able to get a job in an industry you love quicker too! If you did decide to quit your job, I'd try to have one lined up first so you aren't left with nothing. 

Such a hard decision but I'm sure you will make the right one. Good luck !!! Smiley Very Happy