cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need help

I recently found out i have depression and anxiety, this may sound weird but after finding this out my mental state has gotten so much worse. Last night i had a complete breakdown and only told my boyfriend over text, he tried to calm me down but it didn't work.  I need help finding a way to take away the pain and calm myself down, i'll do anything that works. Please, please help me

Re: I need help

hey @ImTheMouse 

First off, you are an extremely strong person who is experiencing a normal response to what you have just been told. The fact that you are still rational is also a positive (being able to fight the urge of self-harm). Smiley Happy Have you tried mindfulness? I find that it is extremely effective in calming me down when my anxiety flares up. You can try it out using this free website, smiling mind

I also find it helpful to keep a journal so as I can write everything that I am feeling out on paper and get it out of my head. You can also use various distraction techniques like crafts or anything that you enjoy doing.

One thing that I found that helped was using my senses to relax me. Maybe there is a particular smell, sound, taste, visual or touch that calms you down. There are many different things that you can do. Just remember that you are incredibly strong and worth this fight.

Hope this helps you out

stonepixie.

P.S. The mods will have to edit your post to comply with community guidelines.

[EDIT] Also, if you find yourself needing someone to talk to, then pay a visit to KHL or lifeline.

My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay. ツ

Hey @ImTheMouse 

I've just had to edit your post as some of the things you've written doesn't cohere to the community guidelines. I'm sorry to hear that you're going through some tough times at the moment. It's definitely not strange at all to feel shocked when you've found out a personal diagnosis. I've been there and I also felt that way for awhile; that some thing like this couldn't happen to me. So you're definitely not alone in this. It's great that your boyfriend is being supportive of you and doing his best to calm you down too.

@stonepixie has given you some awesome tips for self-care and keeping calm. Smiling Mind is worth trying so give it go and see if it's for you. I can see that you're a strong person who's willing to do what it takes to overcome this. Have you spoken to a counsellor or psychologist about your depression and anxiety? I believe that if you talk it out and explain how you've been struggling lately, they can give you some advice to help you. You may find info on building better coping skillsself-talk and relaxation training useful. If you feel that you need someone to talk to, you can contact eheadspace and beyondblue via online chat and phone. You can also ring into Kids Helpline on 1800 55 1800 and Lifeline on 13 11 14 or through their Crisis Support Chat. 

Hope this helps and stay strong!

Hey @ImTheMouse 

It can be really overwhelming to get a diagnosis. It can feel a biit like a life sentence. And you have every right to feel scared and unsure of what that means for you and your future.

Maybe let yourself have some time to acclimatise to it. Be gentle with yourself and have a look over the links you've been given here. You may find something that helps you find a perspective that works for you. This story is one of many you can find here at Reach Out where someone shares their personal experience with having anxiety and depression and how they've coped with it.

Stonepixie and Myvo had shared some great links, including support services that can provide you with someone to talk to. Check them out and let us know how you go with them. 

Hey @ImTheMouse 

How are you going today?

Its really hard being given a diagnosis like that, and from here on in its how you use the information.

Everyone has said some great ideas, have any of them helped?