cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous

Is it okay to cry in front of a Psychiatrist or other therapist?

Hi everyone.

I thought this post was appropriate for this thread, otherwise moderators/admins, please feel free to move it to an appropriate place on the forums (just let me know please).

I was wondering, and my apologies for the stupid question, if it's alright to cry in front of a therapist so a GP, Psychiatrist and/or Psychologist?

I've never cried in front of my GP (as bad she is, I'll be seeing a new one on March 2) or my Psychiatrist.

I don't want to make them uncomfortable and be seen as weak, is it okay to cry in front of any of them?

Thanks, sorry for the stupid question. I'd love if someone can reply please.

- Tayla

Highlighted

Re: Is it okay to cry in front of a Psychiatrist or other therapist?

Hey @Anonymous ,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for your brave and reflective post.  I understand you may be hesitant to cry in front of your therapist.  It is a plausible question to ask.   However, therapy is supposed to be a safe place for us to vent our emotions.  Crying during a therapy session is perfectly normal, and often a beneficial way to release some negative energy.  It will brave and definitely not weak Smiley Happy.  Additionally, your therapist is most likely be comfortable with you crying because they are trained mental health professionals Heart.

Hope this helps!

Highlighted
Anonymous

Thanks for replying @TOM-RO .

I was also wondering since you're from the mod team, how to change my profile pic please? I'd like to change it to the pic below (from Google).

Taylacarmen-floral-wallpaper-soft-pink-p6885-21299_image.jpg

Highlighted

hey @Anonymous

of course its ok to cry in front of them, sometimes we just cant help it. It can feel very embarrassing and like we are making them uncomfortable but its quite common for people to cry in front of health professionals. I have cried in front of a therapist before, I felt embarrassed but after speaking with the therapist they reassured me that its quite common and that she isn't there for her to judge me.
hope this helps!
**NEVER be afraid to ask for help because you're WORTH it!**
Highlighted

Hi @Anonymous 

Yes, it's definitely okay to cry, especially in front of a therapist.

They're probably pretty much used to it as well, since therapy can be really emotional.

It also helps them understand how you are feeling, which can be very useful to them. 

Highlighted
Anonymous

Thanks for the reassurance everyone, I appreciate it xx

@Tiny_leaf @scared01  @TOM-RO 

Hey @Anonymous,

Yes I agree that it is okay to cry in front of a psychiatrist/therapist Smiley Happy

As for changing your picture, you can click on your picture on the top right of the website, then 'My Settings', then 'Avatars' on the first row and 'Upload an Avatar'