cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to be born with depression?

For my entire life I feel like I've never really been happy..
I'm 15 now and I've been bullied for 10 years.. I had to change schools 6 times.. Twice when I was 5.

My mother and father both have/had depression.

Re: Is it possible to be born with depression?

Hi Becky.

There is some evidence that depression can be inherited through genetics, although the research on this is still developing. I'm not a doctor so I couldn't say whether or not it's possible to be born with depression. I imagine it would be difficult to test for depression in babies.

Having said that, just because your parents have depression, doesn't mean you will automatically get it. Have you spoken to a counsellor or a doctor about how you're feeling? You can call Kid's Helpline any time of day or night and speak to a counsellor there, if you would feel more comfortable remaining anonymous. Their number is 1800 55 1800.

I'm so sorry to hear about your experiences with bullying. Changing schools so often must have been very difficult. Do you have friends and people you can trust now at school? If it is ongoing, this factsheet might help you.

I hope you can stick around and check out other areas of the forum. There are some great threads about being positive and proactive about your own happiness which are fantastic when you're feeling blue. It's also comforting to know you're not alone and that many of us here have struggled through similar issues and emotions.

I've been diagnosed with depression..

Have you discussed treatment options with your doctor or your mental health professional? Depression is tough but there are ways to manage it, such as cognitive behavioural therapy. You could try a program like MoodGYM to get you started.

Exercise is also a good way to naturally boost your mood, and learning a new hobby or skill can help keep your mind off things.

Check it out and let us know if you find anything that works for you.

Hey Becky Smiley Happy

Sounds like things are pretty tough at the moment. Smiley Sad Both my parents have/have had depression too (more than once) and I was diagnosed with it about 6 months ago. Like you I found it hard to remember a time when I felt happy.

If you haven't already I'd suggest checking out MoodGym that ElleBelle mentioned. I used that for a bit before I was able to seek face to face help and I found it helpful, so perhaps it might also be beneficial to you? Regular exercise has also helped me manage my mood, even though in the beginning I didn't have much motivation to do it. It doesn't have to be anything fancy - for me it's as simple as going for walks around my housing estate. In my case, I've also needed medication to manage my depression, as well as cognitive behavioural therapy. Everyone is different and it can take some time to figure out what works for you and what doesn't.

It's great that you've found us here on ReachOut - depression can make you feel so isolated and I know it's comforting to know that there are people who care and understand Smiley Happy

Hope to see you around the forums,

Loki Smiley Happy