cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Job advice or any other advice

Hey @Jupiter11 

How's the quest going?

As to your question about whether a fast food chain might not hire you because of your age. As ElleBelle says, your availability can totally work in your favour. Although the chains might prefer to hire 16 year olds for their evenings and weekend shifts, they need someone who is not in school to cover the weekday shifts. And, they often like to have some older staff just to keep everything balanced and running well. There may be some financial gain in hiring young but it can end up costing more if they take longer to train or they're unreliable etc. Your maturity can actually be a selling point. Smiley Happy

Keep us updated.

Highlighted

Hi everyone it's been a while since my last post, I think I've made some good improvements to my life so far, though slowly. I am still job searching. I've tried about 20 places so far both online and in person at fast food, retail and warehouse places. So far no luck!

I was wondering if I could get advice on my resume? How can I improve? Is it okay?

*** = I changed for privacy reasons.

*name

Address: *********

Mobile Number: *********

Email: *********

Education:

• Certificate I in Hospitality - ********* - 2010

• Graduated Year 12 - *********School - 2009

Personality:

• Hardworking

• Friendly and respectful of others

• Works well in teams

• Dependable

Interests:

• Music

• Drawing

• Learning new things

• Meeting new people

Also I don't want to force people to give me advice on this, I won't hold it against anyone if they don't.

Highlighted

Hey @Jupiter11 

We did a Get real session a while back on jobs and resumes ... here is a bit from the summary Smiley Happy 

What should you include on your resume?

• Academic achievement
  • Volunteer
  • Sporting achievement
  • Previous employment
  • Community organizations
  • Leadership positions
  • References (at least one personal and one professional)
  • Use spell check
  • Set yourself apart from others, show your uniqueness
Highlighted

Hey @Jupiter11

Yep Eloise is on the mark. Skills I have 5 and just explain like why eg.
• Time management: Balanced a full-time course load with part-time work and a volunteer position while maintaining a 70% course average.

I also have a hint of colour in there just to show personality a bit more and its meant to be under 2 pages as well (mine is 3... ooops) lol

Thanks for the replies @EloiseRose and @ruenhonx . I made a list of stuff under the categories you (Eloise) put. To be honest I don't think I can use any of it. I really wish I could just restart life...

This is all I could think of. Can I use any of these?

• Academic achievement

- I did Maths Olympiad in 2004, I have a Participation Award and an Encouragement Award.

• Volunteer

- 2009 - High School Library - 3 hours.

- 2009 - High School wood work - 2 hours.

- 2007 - I babysat my friends sisters child. I only really just looked after her, kept her entertained

and safe. Not sure how long 3 times a week for 2 months? 3PM – 6PM.

• Sporting achievement

-

• Previous employment

-

• Community organizations

-

• Leadership positions

-

• References (at least one personal and one professional)

- Not sure about personal I've only contacted about 6 high school friends via facebook since my recovery. 2 of them I've hung out with a few times. Still I think there's a disconnection it's been a long time.

- Professional: I don't think I have one. I spent all of Year 12 fighting my mental disorder so I was always behind on homework and I showed up to class late and skipped class a lot so I don't think any of the teachers liked me.

• Use spell check

-

• Set yourself apart from others, show your uniqueness

-

Other stuff: I think I'm pretty good with computers and software eg – maintenance, installing hardware, reformatting, etc...

Highlighted

Hey @Jupiter11

Think of a resume like you are advertising yourself. So even small things make them big. Its all in the wording.

I wouldn't even say how many hours you spent - I would just say I volunteered at the school library and I learnt ______ skills from doing that...etc.

Are you able to ask your friend's sister for a reference?

I had my mum as a reference in mine for a while, can you find someone who is willing to say good things about you, like a neighbour you have helped out etc.

Be specific about what you are good at, like if you say maintenance of computers and software because of this... or because I learnt it as a subject. that sort of thing.

You can find lots of resume templates online that might give you a guide.

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Hey @Jupiter11 - looks like you're on the right track with your resume. Do you have a cover letter? It creates an opportunity to tell your story and why you're applying for a job. You can expand on your skills and qualities that make you a desirable candidate for the job. True story - I was once approved for an apartment rental based solely on my cover letter than I submitted along with my application. I explained that I had just moved back to Melbourne after my partner broke up with me suddenly and was looking to rebuild my life with a fresh start. The real estate agent said as soon as she read the letter, she knew the place was mine. Lots of people have been in tough situations before and are willing to help out someone in need. So cover letters are important and they work!

Did you look any further into volunteering? Also, how do you feel about actually walking around the local shopping centre and handing out resumes face-to-face? In a customer service job, it makes a good impression if the manager can see you're able to have a friendly chat with strangers (being the people you're handing the resume too). It's nerve-wracking for sure, but it's good for small businesses who may not be able to afford posting job ads online and need employees.

Highlighted

Hey @Jupiter11 how are you going?

I agree with all the tips others have given

Its hard sometimes with resumes if you are modest but I guess you want your resume to shine over the rest so ell them the truth! Why you are so great and why they should hire you!

Knowing things about computers is a greaaaat skill and you should really elaborate and put in great detail the skills you have there as a lot of work places are heavily reliant on technology!

As with references, what about family friends? Neighbours are good too (just make sure you ask them so they know whats happening if someone calls to talk to them!

I have had my bestfriends mum who is a teacher and my aunt who is a principle at a school on my resume in the past

Their qualifications didnt relate to the areas i was applying in but i guess you can add it if you feel like it makes them look like a reliable source

Everyone starts somewhere so dont worry if you dont have any professional referees

Put it in your cover letter that you are wanting to break into the work force and you have chosen their particular workplace to do it in!