cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Just don’t fit

Hey @Saltwaterdreamtime , I totally hear you on feeling nervous about meeting new people and putting yourself out there. The group for dads and kids sounds like such a good idea, I don't know about you but I found that life with a small kiddo could be a bit isolating sometimes, especially for the dads! I found putting myself out there with kids did get easier over time.. especially if it's an activity like going for a walk/ playing sport etc. The first times are always the hardest. 

Check out our community activities calendar for November 2020 here

@Janine-RO Yeah, I find this really hard. It seems really easy and straight forward for some people, like why don’t I just do it and go meet some people? But I just can’t. That’s part of why it’s so isolating too, everyone else seems to be ok at this stuff, but I don’t know how to talk to people so.... 

I just don’t want to get burnt by people, I’ve made friends who have just suddenly wanted nothing to do with me and I don’t know why people don’t like me, but I don’t have many friends and the ones I have made are because we happen to be in the same place like the footy club or old workplaces. I have trouble making friends and keeping them and that must be my fault because it’s common theme, what if I meet people and they realise I’m a weirdo
@Janine-RO

It's a really awful feeling when friendships end @Saltwaterdreamtime Smiley Sad I know this may sound lame but we all think you're amazing here. I know that I have found that sometimes it's harder to maintain friendships as I've got older and life has got busier, especially when kids come along. Or there'll be people who I used to see all the time that I might only see a few times a year now- but when I do see them, it's like time hasn't passed at all.  Sometimes it can feel less forced chatting with new people when you're also doing something else- do you have any men's sheds in your area? Would that be something that you'd be interested in checking out at all? 

I don’t think there is anything like that here at all @Janine-RO

Heya @Saltwaterdreamtime , I had a little look into it and can email you some information, if you'd like? 

Yeah sure that would be cool @Janine-RO

Hey so I’m not going to tag everyone that commented on here but I just wanted to let you know that I haven’t joined up to this group face to face but turns out there is a virtual call every morning at like 10am and anyone from any of the groups around Australia (turns out it’s actually a huge thing) can join in and say hello, so I did that this morning