cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Just need someone to talk to and someone to listen.

Hey brighteyed,

Whether you lose, gain or stay the same weight all depends entirely on you and what you chose. If you want to you can absolutely lose this weight (healthily). 

This may sound harsh but I'm not going to sugarcoat. 

Don't settle for an excuse. None of that 'it runs in the family', 'must be genetic', 'I have a slow metabolism', 'I may have a medical issue', 'it's all baby weight' (although some of it may be baby weight, it's not THE reason). Until it has been confirmed by a doctor after a test don't settle for those reasons as it's unlikely that there is any physical issue otherwise and it won't help you. 

There is a real reason for your weight, there is also a real reason for your mothers weight. This could be a simple portion sizes, in vs out type of one or something more complicated such as emotional eating (in which case it may be good to speak to a doctor or counsellor). Whatever the reason is you can push through it.

Dieting does work for some people, but what's more likely to help isn't a diet, it's a proper lifestyle change. Like what you touched on, you may be able to do the diet but your lifestyle and mindframe keep you from doing it.

You mentioned that you feel really tempted to eat the food in the house, could you speak to your mum (or whoever does the shopping) about the sort of food that's in the house. If they don't already use one a shopping list could really help. 

It's great that you've made a plan, I wish you the best of luck with it. I just also know that they can be very hard to keep, I know this from writing up a few myself which seemed to be forgotten about with-in a week and seeing them from others, they also seemed to disappear quite quickly. Usually this was because they were just too restrictive.

I don't know how specific we're allowed to be on here, and though there is an endless amount of stuff on weight loss on the internet, a lot of it is unhelpful. So I recommend you speak to a doctor, your mum or anyone else you can speak to about figuring out what you're going to be able to do. I'm just going to touch on a few things that helped in situations from my family. 

Some of the best things in our situations have been:

- Making time for physical activity in a way we were able to enjoy e.g bike riding, trampolines, skipping, dancing, dog walking.

- Not limiting ourselves in regards to which foods we could eat. Any limits were on the amount of the food, e.g not eating all of the twixes in a packet, using less pasta, having one less potato cake.

- Being aware of the time when beginning and finishing eating. 

- Getting outside and doing things, exercise doesn't have to be something you're aware of; walking around the aquarium is still walking. It doesn't even have to be something with unaware exercise when you're trying to enjoy life things work out more.

Remember, you don't have to look like a model. You don't have to be one of the thinnest in the class, so don't aim for it. If it naturally turns out that way then lucky for you! You can set a goal, but let it be realistic, acheivable and healthy, you can also have little goals on the way to it that you reward yourself with once you get there. You're body is going to change through out your teenage years, let your goals be flexible enough for that as well - ideal 16 year olds weight is usually more than an ideal 12 year olds weight.

One thing is for certain, you are not the only person going through this. You are not the only 13-year old in Australia going through this. Good-luck.

Highlighted

Re: Just need someone to talk to and someone to listen.

Very true Birdeye

Genetics, metabolism and all of that is assumptions and sometimes excuses you can never truly know until you go and see a doctor. I do want to stress though being big doesn't mean you cant be healthy too. skinny doesn't mean healthy so just aim for being healthy and having safe eating practices. Smiley Happy