cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Keeping yourself busy when unemployed?

Hi @Rickp88, thanks for getting back to us! I don't think it's stupid that you don't feel motivated. Starting something new is often difficult and seemingly impossible at times, breaking routine can just require a ton of energy, especially when facing the unknown. Do you have any clue on why you don't feel like doing much? Alternatively, could you try thinking back to the times when you did feel motivated, and think about what was different /then/? Perhaps there's something that helped then that could help now?

You said that you freaked out about volunteering last time? It might help to share what freaked you out, and then find ways to address that. Smiley Happy

I think it's really just getting past that initial push though, you should find momentum once the ball starts rolling. It might also help if you organise a deadline or a time in advance that you can't really back out from, set aside for you to do something about your situation. If you are sorta interested in going to the gym, but just can't find the effort, maybe you could text a friend in the spur of the moment to ask if they can give you a lift sometime during the week. If you're interested in volunteering somewhere, you could flick an email to organise a time to call / meet up. This way you're 'booked' and kept accountable, you've planned to do something at a certain time, and so you have to do that something even if you don't feel like it. The emails / texts can be pretty simple too, nothing more than a "hey I'm keen to do this, can you give me a lift?" or "hey I'm interested, when can we talk about it more?". It's just small steps. It should only take the same amount of energy to reach out to a friend / organisation as it does to reach out here, so you can definitely do it! You've got this! Smiley Happy

I guess I feel like there isn't much going for me at the moment and that gets me down and unmotivates me, I don't have any friends and I don't know how to make friends or have a conversation in a social situation. The only thing I use to be motivated to do besides working was to play video games and keep up to date with tv shows and movies but now I have no urge to do any of that and when I try I just get bored and frustrated. 

The idea of having to be social and having to talk to people freaked me out when I tried to do volunteering last. Once I move I'm gonna try and get a job through the mental health clinic I go to and see how that goes or try and volunteer again if that doesn't go well

Hey @Rickp88, you seem to mention that motivation is a big factor. Maybe something else is going on for you that is causing you to struggle with social activities, motivation and anxiety. A lot of the things you used to do, no longer seem enjoyable and that must be super tough to deal with. Have you ever brought up these topics with your GP or mental health professional? Do you have any support from your family and friends? Heart

I think I brang it up with my previous councillor but will bring it up with the new one when I see him on Tuesday and I have bring it up with my family but I think my family doesn't really understand what's going on with me that well but they support me. But yeah I use to be really into gaming, I spent alot of my money investing in a computer and games when I was working but then the depression started and I just don't have a motivation to do it anymore and that was kinder my only hobby for years. I want a hobby but don't know what to do nothing seems to motivate me towards it and I want friends but I don't know how to make friends or have a proper converstconv Smiley Sad

That is great that you have mentioned it to them. Has anything been helpful within those conversations? Sometimes it is really hard for family to understand but it is amazing that they are at least aware of what has been going on for you. That sucks that you no longer have a hobby Smiley Sad Is there anywhere nearby in your community that has activities you could participate in? There is a Getting Real chat we have on hobbies and one on making and keeping friends. Let us know what you think Heart

None of the conversations I've had with the councillors or Family have really stuck it's hard to think positive and take it onboard when I feel like complete trash 95% of the week but I am moving to a more permanent address as my mum and I were house sitting for a month and moved from another address before that and I had been living in Sydney but had a phycotic manic episode and came back up to Brisbane so I am feeling a bit more positive that I will be able to live in a more permanent house and be bit more stress free about that. I was also put on some new drugs to help with the depression but not anti depressents as the doctor thinks it may bring on some phycotic symptoms again so see how these go.

I plan to set my computer back up and try and enjoy some games again, get into DnD and find a group and try to go to gym. I also plan to check out a recovery place which runs during the day so I have something to do while I am off work.

Thanks I will check out those threads.

It sounds like things have been pretty challenging @Rickp88 but is also sounds like you really are trying your best to work on and improve things @Rickp88 and as you say hopefully when you're feeling more settled at home and your medication has had time to take effect, then slowly that positive vibe will build. It's so important to keep up all your hard work and start doing some things you enjoy (like gaming, gym etc).  Keep up all the hard work!!