cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Life feels pointless

Hi. Yes I'm open to seeking other professional support. My mum said she's sort of willing to try getting me to a physiologist but she doesn't really think its worth our time as she says '' I have all the resources and am intelligent enough to work it out." Mum said its all down to me really as i've got all the answers and phyics don't know everything I've been through, they don't really know me as person. They'll just tell me the same things that she does according to her which is true to some extent. Plus I have medication. She says she's open to it but I know she's not. She already spends a lot of her time and money on caring for me, I would just feel guilty if she went through the effort of driving me to get help and we didn't see any results after all she does for me. Its been almost 3 years now and I'm just going through the same cycles but I do feel like talking to a professional could help.

Hey @StrawberryShortcake (cool username btw!)! I agree with your Mum on how you got all the answers, whereas psychologists don't since they don't really know you - after all, you're the expert of your own life! However, sometimes the answers we hold are not as visible to us - and that's when psychologists and other professional supports come to help. Does that make sense?

@StrawberryShortcake  I'm sorry that the counsellor wasn't right for you. Smiley Sad Sometimes, it takes some trial and error before you can find one that you can connect with. I'm glad your mum is supportive of you. It sounds like you really care about her. Heart

Sometimes, it can be helpful talking to someone outside of the family, who is trained in providing support or therapy. If your mum doesn't want you to see a psychologist or someone in person, you can always contact supports for free online or over the phone, such as Kids Helpline, Lifeline and eheadspace.
With Kids Helpline, you can choose to have regular counselling sessions.
What do you think?

Hi again. I talked it over with her she said one of her main issues was that we only get 10 free sessions a year, which isn't enough to thoroughly sort everything out as it would just be scratching the surface plus we can't afford a physic. Kids helpline sounds good, I just don't really want to bother them they probably have much bigger issues to deal with. Is it for emergencies only or can you just talk to them about any issues? Thanks for the solution by the way.

Hi. Thanks it was the first thing that came to mind when thinking of a username. Well it's not really me who thinks that. I partly agree with my mum but I'm more open to getting professional help. I actually talked to her about it. Turns out we can get 10 free sessions a year but that wouldn't be enough to properly adress all the underlying issues and properly talk things over. Somebody actually suggested i talk to kids helpline so I'm considering trying that.

Hi @StrawberryShortcake 

I just wanted to check in and let you know about Kids Helpline, you can call to talk through what's going on for you they actually say on their website that you can call for any reason. I know that it can sometimes feel like you don't want to bother them, but they are there to listen. 

i also just had to edit your post at there was a whole lot of information attached to the end of your post that i think was there by mistake.

Hello @StrawberryShortcake, just wanting to check in to see how things have been going for you over the past little while? Were you able to make contact with Kids Helpline? Heart

Apologies that one of your replies got eaten by our spam bot. Sometimes it gets hungry and eats random posts! Smiley Tongue

Hi. I was reluctant at first but it helped talking to a councillor on the phone the only issue is the person i talk to isn't always avaliable but no worries. That's okay about the spam bot thing. Thanks for checking in, I'm good.

Hi @StrawberryShortcake! How are you feeling today?

I'm glad that talking to the counsellor helped. It can be so daunting talking to a new counsellor but well done for reaching out! Smiley Happy
Are you able to ask the helpline or service if they can send you a timetable of when your counsellor is available?

Hey @StrawberryShortcake , I thought I'd check in since it's been a little while. How have things gone in the past week or so? We'd love to hear back about how you're doing if you're happy to share Smiley Happy 

It sounds like the phone counsellors you've talked to have been helpful so far, even if you can't get the same one all the time. That's great! Everyone working there would really care about lending a hand, no matter how big or small the issues might seem Smiley Happy

I also wanted to make sure you were taking care of yourself in your day-to-day routine. Have you made sure to practice self-care strategies? Sometimes it can be easy to forget when you're busy, but it's more important than lots of people think.